sooo should buy now?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by almasinfe, Mar 6, 2010.

1. almasinfe macrumors member

almasinfe

i was wondering if i should buy a new macbook pro 15' 2.66 Ghz in a month of two. my wife told me she would get me one soon, so should i get one? or wait till a new batch? :confused:

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

To be honest:

We don't know, including you.

In longer terms: Have any of the other already existing threads given you some kind of clue?

We don't know what you want from a computer, so even a PowerBook might suffice your needs.

Luckily I still have something in my clipboard:

The following is taken from the thread titled "How to maximise your MacRumors troubleshooting experience" created by mad jew in 2006. It contains more elaborate information on the short extracts I took from it and should help you in finding appropriate help. I also made some additions after finding that thread.

1. Search for threads or guides containing similar problems.
      MRoogle is quite a good tool to search these forums.
    2. Start your thread in the appropriate forum or sub-forum.
      Here is the forum's main page with the list of all the sub-fora found here.
    3. Use a specific thread title.
      "Need help!!!!???? ASAP!!!" and its variants are not specific.
    4. Find and post machine hardware and software configurations.
      You can find out more about your Mac by going to the Menu Bar > :apple: > About This Mac > More Info ... (this button opens Applications / Utilities / System Profiler) > Hardware Overview.
    5. Tell us your problem, and be specific. What is happening to your machine?
      What Mac OS X version and what Mac do you use, ... .
    6. How long has this been happening? What changes were made just before this started?
    7. What have you already tried?
    8. Respond to all posted advice with details of what happened.
    9. Be wary of the (very) occasional bad advice.
    10. Be patient.
    11. Be courteous.

3. almasinfe thread starter macrumors member

almasinfe

thanx sirs, i know you just love telling people to go **** them selves anytime a question has been asked more then a few times lol :D thanks for being so kind...

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

So, what the smeg do you want?

You haven't given us any information on your uses, and the standard answer to your question is
    "IF YOU NEED IT NOW - BUY IT NOW. IF YOU CAN WAIT - BUY IT NOW. IF YOU CAN REALLY WAIT - WAIT."
    so what answer do you expect?

You have to decide, you have to shell out money, or your wife has to. You have to live with that computer and the decision that let to the purchase.

And you don't provide any information we can use to help you.

That is one of the reasons you and others get such reactions, and of course the anonymity helps. If you would be in the same room with me, I would have just asked: what do you need the Mac for, and what is your current PC, and what are your expectations for the new machine?

You're not even on the same pl... continent, so what gives. And those "should I, should I not" threads with abysmal thread titles come too often to just ignore them.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What gets me is people saying stuff like "I know I should search" or "I know this question has been asked before" or something similar, and yet they start a new redundant thread on the same topic, anyway. If you KNOW it's a common question, why not search the existing threads, instead of starting a new one, as the Forum Rules require? Saying "sorry, but this is another repetitive thread" doesn't cut it. You want to show thanks? Search for answers instead of starting repetitive thread.

At least newbies have an excuse, in that they may not be aware of MRoogle or that topics have already been discussed. Someone who's been around more than a couple weeks (let alone, a couple years!) should know better!