Soooo depressed.. want new ATV ASAP

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by mohanman, May 6, 2009.

1. mohanman macrumors regular

Man.. I'm so sad right now. Yes, over a piece of electronics. I want ATV updated. I want 1080p movies.. I got this WDTV, yeah its okay.. but its no ATV. I got this Dvico 6500 ($400!!), and yeah, its okay.. but its no ATV.

I wish the PQ was as good as these devices on my ATV. Please!!!!

Will need to start anti-depressants soon..

Yes, I'm a dork.

Mo

2. Jozone macrumors 6502

Sell them all and buy a mini with Plex installed.. think of all the money you would save on anti-depressants! :cool:

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

This.

4. mohanman thread starter macrumors regular

Plex is a little complicated for me to use... I hate to say it. I don't want to deal with automounts, this mount that mount, complicated software updates, I just tried it on my imac.. can't even play the movies I bought from itunes.. I guess because of DRM. Also, so complicated to even get subtitles to work. I don't think my parents could figure it out. Appletv was just simple.. click.. thats it

Mo

5. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

I am not a huge plan of plex. I would rather see an update to frontrow. So I can access the iTunes store.

I would also like DRM free video and the ability to import my DVDs into iTunes like my music.

I am really beginning to dislike movie companies. I am also beginning to lose my dislike of piracy. Sad to say

6. MacStew macrumors member

1080p? Nah...

I used to want 1080p movies, until I worked out how much storage I would need for a reasonable collection.

Assuming there is no transcoding involved, an average movie would be 20GB. So for a nice library of 200 movies, you'd need 8TB (4 original + 4 as backup). You'd end up with either multiple Drobos or an expensive rack mount jobby. Not happening.

So I've accepted 720p as my format of choice. 1080p transcoded to 720p AppleTV takes up about 7GB, basically a third of 1080p. So 200 movies = 2.8TB (1.4 + 1.4) . Much more acheivable.

7. mohanman thread starter macrumors regular

But a 1080p mkv is only about 7-8 gb, but again your saying without transcoding.

8. MacStew macrumors member

Indeedy. My example is based on the average size of a blu-ray 1080p rip. If you want 1080p because of the picture quality, then the blu-ray version is what you're after. If you have a bunch of 1080p mkv files to watch, then I guess :apple:TV is no good. It all depends on where you get your videos from! My guess is that a good 7GB 720p transcode from a blu-ray will look as good as or better than a 7GB 1080p mkv. Plus the 720p version will play on the :apple:TV, so bonus!

9. mohanman thread starter macrumors regular

A 1080p mkv reencoded to a Atv 720p does not even compare in terms of pq. That is why I wrote this thread

10. MacStew macrumors member

Correct! I didn't suggest that. I suggested you transcode from 1080p blu-ray rip to 720p.

11. dynaflash macrumors 68020

of course it doesn't. for that matter a 1080p mkv from a blue ray reencoded into another 1080p mkv will not compare either. lossy -> lossy == more lossy.

Now, a well done 720p from the same blu ray source might be another matter altogether.

12. TuckBodi macrumors 6502

1080p vs. 720p --- doesn't it depend on the size of your TV (and viewing tastes)? I have a 46" Sammy and while a 1080 movie looked "slightly" better than a 720, I thought the 720 was very adequate and could live with it because of the smaller size. YMMV

:apple:TV, maybe someday soon Apple will enable the 1080 capability of the GPU (which is built-in) just like the did when they enabled 720?! Someday...

Mac min and Plex -- yes, a little bit of a learning curve and some growing pains to setup, but high rewards at the end. Although, I'd use XBMC (which Plex is a branch of) because it smoothly play the incredible new skin, Aeon Auriga (good FAQ on Aeon: http://xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=50344).

13. mohanman thread starter macrumors regular

The ps3 is the worse gaming system on the market, and Ive tried using mine as a media player.. experience.. horrible

Wish I never bought the damn thing.

Mo

14. mastershakess macrumors 6502

How is the PS3 any different from the Xbox 360 as a gaming system? Similar graphics, they have many of the same games and both systems have their own exclusive titles.

Its one of the best Blu-Ray players on the market.

Media player is pretty straight forward, its just like the WD player. Plug a USB HDD into the PS3 and play just about any video file by navigating through the folders you created. I love this because I can set up different folders for TV series and movies with sequels.

I love it so much better than my old ATV because it can play anything I throw at it, it can handle 1080p files, organization is easy, no need for itunes, no streaming required and its plays Blu-Rays I rent from NetFlix.

15. JeepGuy macrumors regular

I don't bother with backups, The original blu-ray disk is my backup. I have been averaging less than 20gb once I strip out the extras, and alternate audio tracks, I don't trans code because it takes too long (overnight vs 20~30mins), but then again I'm not using an apple TV either. The arbitrary number of 200 would be over time, and your storage would grow over time as well, and storage is getting cheaper every day.

16. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Depressed because you no get 1080p movies with the Apple TV, thanks for the laugh! :D

I hope you never encounter real problems. What would you do if something really bad happens? Instant suicide?

17. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

Well even SD can be a chore, eventually your continuing to buy Hard Drives, so it's somewhat of a money pit, even more so if you want redundency on your files. Not sure it's really worth it, I fight with myself about it all the time.

18. MacStew macrumors member

Tell me about it. My wife is very understanding regarding the numerous boxes around the place that we "need" for our movie watching. My ultimate aim is to converge everything to a very small amount of kit, out of sight, that plays high quality movies reliably, and is easy to add new movies to. I'm slowly getting there - and the journey is fun if you love gadgets! But my little boy has just turned 6 months and will be crawling soon, so I'll need to seriously tidy the place up to prevent disaster!

Soz for the rant.