Soooo when can we get Unlimited Data again.... :(

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Epic Xbox Revie, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Epic Xbox Revie macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

Disappointing that we can't get unlimited data anymore. Especially when we can use the current caps so quickly! Does anyone think a better option than the current plans will come out sometime? Thoughts?

Chances on getting unlimited/ better deal on data?

2. Vastastheocean macrumors member

Unlimited usage is gone, just like the days of penny candy and bread for a nickle.

3. MR1324 macrumors 6502

nope we will never see unlimited data again. those who got the ipad unlimited data back in the day are extremely lucky. i still have my unlimited data on my iphone and am waiting for the day they make an LTE iphone. then, i'll just tether to my ipad instead of having to pay for an extra data plan on the ipad.

4. SteveAbootman macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

Wouldn't surprise me if once the Verizon's and AT&T's of the world get a steady and scalable infrastructure up to support their 4G LTE networks, they start to offer it as an alternative to Cable/DSL to customers to use for all their devices in the home in addition to mobile products.

If this transition takes place, they'll have to offer unlimited data since home consumers (at least in mine and all of family and friends homes) expect to pay a flat rate for unlimited, un-throttled cable internet.

Of course, the fee for unlimited LTE won't be cheap...

5. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Between now and never, why

This. Because you can reach your limit so quickly, you are more likely to pay for more data, which AT&T prefers.

6. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Don't forget they throttle when u reach a low ceiling.

7. wharzhee macrumors 6502

8. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

maybe promo weekend or something but i doubt well get it

9. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Only on the iPhone, not iPad, at least not yet. <I have a grandfathered unlimited ATT data>. Although based on some of the LTE speeds I've seen on Verizon I could be throttled b/c VZW seems to be getting in the 20s and I get about 10 mbps on ATT. :D

10. bossxii macrumors 68000

I went with the Verizon iPad and for $100 bucks I took over a 3G unlimited data plan/line from a ladies family plan she was looking to dump. I purchased the Droid Razor off a buddy that didn't like the larger size and took the phone into a VZW store to activate the line in my name and get a LTE sim card.

Drove home, installed the sim card from the phone to the iPad. Unlimited LTE and a swappable sim card I can use in either devices. I have a secondary cell phone number and a plan that will be $70+ per month but unlimited data and the speed is faster than my AT&T uVerse 24mbit line, which I dropped down to 6mbit and saved $42 per month on that alone. 90% of my surfing at home is on my Ipad so it's rather awsome to not watch a meter. Worth every dollar IMO.

I don't use torrents, I don't intentially try to see how much data I can use. I do normal browsing, use wifi when I can (100mbps at work) and get to be mobile all weekend. If you have, or can find a grandfathered plan... It's rather amazing to have 12 to 25mbps speed on the go. I have yet to stream any video, from YouTube to HD movie trailer and have a single "buffer", it plays right away and is perfect. It really changes the iPad experience for me. The past wifi performance was not all that impressive, LTE performs well beyond my expectations!

11. Identity Fraud macrumors 6502

I hope that data becomes like rollover minutes where you can actually save any unused data for the following billing cycle.

12. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Wow! A glass is half bursting at the seams kinda guy! I love the optimism! Keep those happy thoughts directed at AT&T. :D

13. dtlee1974 macrumors regular

I think we're likelier to see sub-$1 a gallon gas than we are the return of unlimited data on mobile devices. AT&Ts back haul network got crushed by idiots streaming video 24/7 just because they could, and that was on 3g. Just think what it would be like with iPhone/iPad levels of market penetration using LTE.

>I hope that data becomes like rollover minutes where you can actually save any unused data for the following billing cycle.

This however I think is pretty likely at some point in the future and actually seems pretty reasonable to me.

14. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

15. urkel macrumors 68030

We'll likely never get unlimited again. But what I would like the future to be is that multiple devices would share a single family data plan rather than individual devices having individual data plans. So you buy 5GB/mo and it doesn't matter if you're on you iPad, iPhone, Vita or whatever, you'd simply share that single bucket.

16. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

17. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

They should just charge per actual bits. That's how we pay for electricity.

18. taedouni macrumors 65816

I wish that Verizon gave unlimited data to its LTE users. They could make it a limited time thing to drive sales. Then when enough costumers are on their LTE network they can get rid of it just like they did with the 3G network.

19. jburns macrumors regular

If you enjoy getting screwed just go to a brothel.

20. Archer1440 macrumors 6502

Archer1440

My unlimited AT&T iPad data plan is precisely why I didn't even consider Verizon. Same reason I won't leave AT&T when the next iPhone is released, I will carry my unlimited iPhone plan over. (yes I checked).

21. drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

I will never sign up for a data plan that isn't unlimited, plain and simple.

22. DeuxIt macrumors member

sell my sim

i would be happy to sell any of you my iPad unlimited sim card. i have a feeling i come nowhere near even 2gb/month in my day to day usage. and i would feel more comfortable selling it to someone on here who wont goof up the migration to LTE and understands the risks. I would sell it for $650. which seems to be the going rate on eBay. or i would trade for verizon unlimited sim that would work for an iPad on LTE

23. iMaconApple macrumors 6502a

Yeah everyone would love unlimited data again.. Carriers see this as a money maker..so many tablets/smart phones/mifi..ect for me I don't really use the phone part on my iPhone any more. Data=all of that msg/VoIP/FaceTime/email.ect I can imagine carries offer unlimited data again now I'm sure there network will get jammed up..

While on topic of data I think carriers don't offer good deals on GB usage.. 250MB on AT&T 15$ what a joke.. Plus new iPad with 4G is nice and video streaming like Netflix ect will eat up data like crazy :eek: I'm already 400mb of 3GB on my iPad 4G AT&T I still have like 24 days left..I can manage my use I just tether it to my iPhone :D when I don't need heavy data use.. When next iPhone comes out with 4G people with AT&T unlimited data wont get throttled till they hit 5GB of data hogging. 5GB of data I can live with that and I'm on unlimited but they should not throttle long time customers with unlimited data:mad: 30$ for unlimited data and get trottled as same price for non unlimited 30$ for 3GB data AT&T trying to get people off the unlimited data to get more money when you go over the data use just not fair..