soooooooo if i ALWAYS have my phone with me....

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by caligurl, Sep 12, 2017.

1. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

why do I need a cellular watch that I have to pay an extra $10 a month to use?

2. Trekkie macrumors 6502a

Trekkie

is that amount confirmed? i've not found any details yet.

I dunno, maybe if you're like my wife and pockets don't hold an iPhone nor exist on a nice dress maybe leaving the phone in the car on a night out would be worth it.

3. caligurl thread starter macrumors 68030

caligurl

no.... I saw someone say that was what Verizon was going to charge... but I don't know where they got that info (and I have at&t)

4. geoffm33 macrumors 6502

geoffm33

That's probably right. $10 device fee and shared data/minutes.

I have an S2 and probably won't get the S3 (at least for now). I am very rarely without my phone.

5. douglasf13 macrumors 68000

I was skeptical of LTE a few years ago, but now I'm excited. I primarily use my phone for talk/text/email, the camera, and wasting time on the internet, so I'll be happy to leave my phone at home quite a bit of the time.

6. caligurl thread starter macrumors 68030

caligurl

I still have the original. I have 2 and didn't want to buy 2 new ones just for a bit faster processing..... decided to wait for the next (this) version....

but now I'm even rethinking that.... both my watches still work fine *knock on wood*

one is from a couple of days after release day and the other a few months newer....

i do like the idea of wireless charging though..... the phone, watch and pods looks nice on the charger! haha! (but I'd have to buy new air pods, too! and that would be a ridiculous purchase since they aren't even a year old!)
    --- Post Merged, Sep 12, 2017 ---
    The biggest thing with cellular for me would be if i just ran to the store for something.... not having to have my phone to use apple pay. but it's a bit of a silly expense for that.....

7. edhchoe macrumors 6502a

edhchoe

When going swimming palying tennis badminton bicycling running sunbathing etc...i would rather not carry my phone

8. jallenclark macrumors regular

I haven't finished reading everything yet but I recall Phil saying you would only need a new airpod case, not new airpods. Doesn't help a ton but way cheaper than new airpods too.

9. douglasf13 macrumors 68000

I work from home on a MacBook, so I could really see this keeping my iPhone at home most of the time. I'm also a former pro photographer, so I often have a good camera with me, anyways.

10. klymr macrumors 65816

You currently don't have to have your phone for Apple Pay with the Watch as is. Cellular connection won't change that.

11. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

You don't need a phone to use Apple Pay anyway - it doesn't require a data connection (or even your phone to be with you) to work.

12. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

The existing Apple Watch has already greatly freed me from needing my phone. I mostly walk around home and work without carrying my phone with me. This extends that freedom to everywhere. They are pushing the fitness aspect which makes it great for running, etc. You can go for a walk or run to the store without needing to fit a progressively larger phone into your pocket.

The new phones don't interest me at all. The new watch is what's exciting about this event.

13. caligurl thread starter macrumors 68030

caligurl

it doesn't!? well you learn something new every day! I forgot my phone one time when I ran to the store and pulled out my credit card cuz I assumed that my watch wouldn't work without being connected to my phone!

dang! I feel really dumb right now! haha!

14. poorcody macrumors 6502a

poorcody

Learning all the features of these devices is almost a full time job! :p

15. ctrlzone macrumors regular

ctrlzone

this is the real revolutionary product of this keynote.
    this is the beginning of the end of phones, people will realize soon that carrying a phone is just not that practical.
    and all this power and features of a real smartphone are anyway completely useless for the most part of our live.

16. nutriousmitten macrumors regular

Obscure question, maybe....how independent is the Series 3 as far as LTE?
    Can I - a)set it up initially with an Iphone. b)Change sim in phone from Iphone to Android c)Still use the LTE Apple watch, out and about, with the Iphone at home (and it the Iphone not connected to data via LTE...maybe the Iphone is on Wifi at home, or maybe shut off totally).

If it's not phone reliant, just plan reliant, (hey, if you have your iphone off at home, the watch should still work) theoretically it should work totally independant of the Iphone. Not sure then how, when a text or call comes in, would it go to the AW or the Android phone.

17. WinterWolf90 macrumors 6502a

The thing that sucks is that the stainless steel options are only for cellular.

18. mark34 macrumors 6502a

That is the whole point. You no longer need to always have your phone with you. To me that is a huge plus.

19. basher macrumors 6502

basher

I feel the same way.

I'm guessing the watch would still function "normally" without having cellular service to the watch. Seems silly to think the way, but I wonder if that's what we'll see happening to get a stainless watch.

20. riverfreak macrumors 65816

riverfreak

You've been taught to always have your phone with you. It's become socially acceptable to stare at it in any and all occasions as if checking it for the 1000th time of the day will change anything in your life. Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter have all incentivized their mindshare on your phone to boost their ad revenue.

The time is rapidly approaching where we won't need "phones", at least not in their current physical incarnation. Carrying one will seem as anachronistic as people that use flip phones now.

21. yegon macrumors 68030

Absolute twaddle.

22. basher macrumors 6502

basher

That's right up there with , "We'll be having flying cars by 2020."

23. psylence2k macrumors 6502

I really doubt the majority of the general public are going to trade in their overall much more capable smartphones with large screens for a limited small watch on their wrist that they'll need to always carry bluetooth headphones with to have a private convo in public or clear convo in a noisy environment all in the name of having something more compact.

The whole reason we gave up compact flip phones were to have much larger but much more capable smartphones with bigger screens to accommodate those capabilities.

24. TMRJIJ macrumors 68040

TMRJIJ

Why? Most people don’t even use their phones to call people anyway.

25. douglasf13 macrumors 68000

Why? I've bought a new iPhone every other year since the 3G, and, as I mentioned above, I still essentially only use it for talk/text/email, the camera, and wasting time. With this new AW3, I'll mostly use my iPhone only for long telephone conversations, because of battery life. If I want to delve deep into something, I'll use a tablet or laptop at the home or office.