Sophos for Mac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Stinkfist69, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Stinkfist69 macrumors newbie

Does this slow down your mac? Is it any good? I need an antivirus for my college.

My school requires an antivirus installed, so I am wondering if this is any good. Does it slow down the computer and take up alot of resources?

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Install either ClamXAV or iAntivirus. Both should cover your school's requirements, both are more than OS X needs and both are free... :cool:

3. Stinkfist69 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I can do that, but my school offers Sophos free as well. I just don't want to install it if it slows down the system too much.

4. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

Umm. Well, Mac OS can only get infected with Mac OS viruses or trojans; and there's no viruses that I've heard of that you need to worry about - there are a few (very few) trojans but really you don't need an AV product for Mac. However, if you really want something for your Mac consider iAntivirus; it's free too.

There are a few user reviews: Sophos Anti-Virus - 4.9 - seems to be rated 3/5 :eek:

5. Lounge Deluxe macrumors regular

I can imagine that if you receive a file or email on a Mac that contains a Windows virus or trojan and you forward that file or email to someone with a Windows pc, that Windows pc might get contaminated.

6. Stinkfist69 thread starter macrumors newbie

hmmm, maybe I'll download it since it's free, but I hope it's not like Norton :rolleyes:

7. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

I gave it a test run, and thought it was pretty poor. I think it failed to pick up something, but it was a while ago so maybe I can't remember.

iAntiVirus is free and better. It picks up OS X threats only.

ClamXAV only picks up Windows threats and is also free.

8. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

We use Sophos at work, it's actually pretty decent and does a good job picking up Windows viruses.

9. larkost macrumors 6502a

All real-time antivirus products slow down your computer, that is the nature of the game. So Sophos does slow down your computer. I used it at work, and on some things (producing system images) it was noticeable, but in most of my day-to-day operations it was not.

10. Matari macrumors member

I too have to have Sohpos installed on my work machines due to a university policy. I find it is a bit of a pain, but this can be alleviated by manually updating the files once a week - this way the app. is not constantly calling home and slowing down your machine.