Sophos or Kaspersky AV

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lovelldr, Mar 13, 2010.

1. lovelldr macrumors newbie

Hi guys.

Now I've had my mac for the past 3 months or so now, and have been using Sophos antivirus which I got through my work AV contract. But, I've been given a license to Kaspersky through my banking account, which I can put on my mac.

Now, the thing which I'm wondering, is which is likely to be the better AV software? I've not really had any problems with Sophos so far, and found it to run ok (finding a few windows virues I've had, not too much of a footprint etc).

But, was wondering whether Kaspersky was better in that it had less footprint, or anything else?

I know that a lot of people would probably say to not worry about AV software and don't have either... But since I use this for work a lot, don't really want to jeopardise the data...

Many thanks in advance, and look forward to all answers :)

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

As far as the Mac goes, neither is needed. With file exchange between yourself & work (and assuming there's Windows machines in use), then something lightweight resource-wise to prevent passing something along isn't necessarily a bad idea.

I'd launch each separately and watch Activity Monitor to see which is using less memory and CPU, and go with that if you must run it continuously. Since Sophos is work-provided and will have exactly the same updates as its Windows counterpart, that's something that is more likely to keep you on the straight & narrow with your IT department, too.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

As you might know, there are no published viruses for Mac OS X, just some malware like trojans, which you have to install manually.

All those AV software does, is scanning for Windows viruses anyway, to protect Windows users from being fed with Windows viruses that you might have received and forward them in some way.

MRoogle will give you plenty of answers if you use it.