Sophos unliked

Discussion in 'macOS' started by zephonic, May 24, 2011.

1. zephonic macrumors 65816

zephonic

A while back I "liked" Sophos on Facebook because their Mac anti-virus came recommended and was free.

Because I "liked" them I saw all their blog entries in my FB news feed and soon lost a lot of my initial enthusiasm.

I understand it is their business and livelihood, but scaremongering and misinforming people is bad no matter how you spin it.

Today they have a bogus story about the MacDefender thing. That's the last straw. I have "unliked" Sophos.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What aspect of the MacDefender story is bogus? I haven't read all that they have to say. Sophos isn't recommended, as it can actually increase your Mac's vulnerability. Antivirus isn't needed to protect a Mac, since there has never been a virus in the wild that affects Mac OS X since it was released 10 years ago. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some education and common sense and care in what software you install:
    The first section of that link deals specifically with the MacDefender/MacSecurity/MacProtector issue.

3. zephonic thread starter macrumors 65816

zephonic

4. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

5. ormie macrumors regular

ormie

Just a small point. Macdefender, or whatever it is now named, is not a virus. It's a piece of malware which can only get onto your Mac by you, the user, installing it. So you have to download it, run the installer, enter your password then run the (app) malware, then add you credit card details and bobs your aunty. Apple are, going by the rumour sites, bringing out a fix for this in the next OSX update due out soon. Sorry I do not know what was said by Sophos as I do not use Facebook, twitter etc.