Sore and Tired Eyes

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hunterd, Mar 23, 2009.

1. hunterd macrumors newbie

I am a switcher and have been using my MacBook Pro for about 6 months and no matter what I try my eyes get very sore after a short time. The fonts always seem blurry when I use my Mac.

I came from an IBM T42 and when I use it everything is fine. I wear glasses but had my eyes checked 2 months ago so I know that is not the problem. From research on the web I assume it is related to how the Mac does font smoothing.

Can anyone please help..... I love the Mac OS but this is crazy.

2. windels macrumors regular

windels

I once started a tread about this. I think I know what you are talking about. it happens to me mostly while I'm reading a lot of texts. well, I found this tread on appleinsider.com about this, and there were a lot of people who also experienced this. so , I made a tread about this here, on macrumors. even made a little poll with it. everyone denied the problem or didn't experience it.

so, I doubt you will find any help here, but you could always search on apleinsider.com if they came up with something..

3. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

There have been threads that address this problem in the past. It is a difference in the way that OS X and Windows render fonts. Try searching for "render fonts" and see if you can find the thread here on MR. I don't recall whether or not there was a solution...

Something you might try is turning font smoothing off for smaller fonts in the Appearance pane of the system preferences (try setting it to the biggest number).

4. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

eye strain is cause when the muscles behind the eye tighten. the constant flickering of a computer screen can accelerate this. i dont think changing fonts is going to help. there are special glasses that you can buy to counteract this effect. ask your eye doctor about them. my grandfather used them but he died so i cant ask him where he got them haha. that sounded mean but he would have laughed too.:)

5. Nik73 macrumors regular

I found that when I first got my Mac (coming from windows) I would get a bad, piercing headache after using it for only 5 minutes. I was getting a bit worried thinking it was something to do with the screen but after a couple of weeks the headaches faded away and I never get them now.
    It must have just took a while for my eyes to get used to the fonts on a Mac. I'd have thought you'd have got used to it by now though if you were going to.

6. vocalcity macrumors newbie

I also have a problem with eyestrain using my Unibody 15". Running Windows under boot camp doesn't help, so I don't necessarily think it's a font issue.

I've been trying to narrow down why I'm experiencing the eyestrain. So far, it isn't the fonts or the glare from the screen.

My next plan is to see if my girlfriend experiences eyestrain when using the MBP for a while.

I'm starting to think it's either a defective screen or I'm just sensitive to LED backlighting.

I think the only way I could be sure is to try working on another MBP for a while and seeing whether I the same problem. Hopefully the shop in Wellington NZ would allow me to try another one overnight... (no Apple stores here).

7. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

LCDs don't suffer from the refresh rate problems that older CRTs did, which would cause the eye strain that caused many people to need glasses or put special screens over their monitors.

A few things to try are adjusting the brightness of your screen (the newer models can actually be too bright) and changing the font smoothing as I mentioned earlier.

8. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

they still give some ppl problems tho. but you're right not as bad as the old CRT's.

9. brentsg macrumors 68030

It's just a different set of problems now.

10. redsteven macrumors 6502a

redsteven

What if you just make the text bigger?

Use zoom in universal access preferences?

11. kousuke18 macrumors regular

I can definitely relate to this problem. After the first few days I bought a macbook pro I immediately noticed that my eyes would get tired after a short period of use. To me it seemed like text were blurry, out of focus, and just didn't seem as crisp and sharp as the text on my windows machine. Surprisingly, over time, I noticed that my eyes began to adjust and better accommodate the fonts in os x. Now, I very much prefer the way fonts are rendered in os x as opposed to windows. So you will need to give your eyes some time to adjust to the way os x renders fonts and after that i'm sure you will prefer the antialiased fonts in os x as opposed to the cleartype font on windows.

12. applecultvictim macrumors 6502a

Can you elaborate on what that might be?

Old crts were better for me..or maybe I was younger...

13. brentsg macrumors 68030

Some people such as myself were never sensitive to the refresh of CRTs but we have problems with LCD backlights. I can use a CRT or LED backlit display all day comfortably, but if I use a CCFL backlit display I get very severe pain in my eyes.

All of us are different and there is no one technology that will work for everyone is all I meant.

Everyone's eye-brain combo perceives thing just a bit differently. In the home theater world, some people see rainbows with DLP, some see smearing due to sample and hold of LCD, some people can perceive the 3 primary colors separate with plasma displays, some are sensitive to 24p judder in movies, some see smooth clean and proper motion for all of these scenarios.

We're all different and it's quite possible to come up against a display technology that just doesn't work for you. Prior to LED backlit displays I was starting to wonder what I was going to do when my 22" Mitsu CRT finally wore out.

14. applecultvictim macrumors 6502a

Hey brent, thanks a lot for taking the time to reply. You probably just solved a huge issue for me!!! I was fine and dandy with crt's and switched just to avoid the emf radiation issue (wasn't much of an issue it turns out...) from a great sony g series to a sony tft and then the others that came along and I have either grown too much or I am facing the issue you are describing and the culprit is the ccfl...and most probably it is the ccfl...thanks again!

Also, if you get the time can you suggest a monitor or lappie? What are you currently using?

15. jgo78 macrumors 6502

there are many posts about screen flicker that may be causing this issue.

16. applecultvictim macrumors 6502a

And how can one check if flicker is present?

17. jgo78 macrumors 6502

u can see the flicker, at low brightness levels. like a pulsating.

18. James Cole macrumors 6502

I had that problem also... and then my eyes adapted... and never had the problem since.

19. jgo78 macrumors 6502

do u have this flicker?