Sorry, Adobe, you screwed yourself

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by Fakejohnsculley, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Fakejohnsculley macrumors member

very interesting read.

from the article:

http://innerdaemon.wordpress.com/2010/04/10/sorry-adobe-you-screwed-yourself/

2. Queso macrumors G4

To be fair on Adobe...

Microsoft spent a lot of time and effort convincing companies to abandon Mac support and develop solely for Windows about that time. The FUD machine was out in full force about the death of Apple, the superiority of Windows Media over QuickTime, the necessity of Internet Explorer, etc.. Many companies fell for it, and it was only Apple's own efforts to plug the gaps in the products that were dropped with their own software that kept the Mac surviving in the creative sphere until OSX matured and the Intel transition brought the customers flooding back.

Adobe were duped.

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Worthless piece of emotionally driven fanboy fluff, IMO. Apple and Adobe aren't siblings or BFF's they are businesses and Adobe wasn't the only company that hitched their wagon to Windows when Apple was circling the drain. And what about switching to a completely new OS, having stagnating CPUs thanks to Moto, switching over to intel, and most recently all of the under the hood changes w/Snow Leopard? Apple's been a moving target the better part of the last decade yet some people still expect 3rd parties to cater to Apple's every whim?

Apple's *hardware* sales to the creative gfx market competes w/Adobe's *software* sales how? Adobe doesn't care if you run Windows or OS X as long as you use their software products.

The rise of Acorn and Pixelmator, really?

Lethal

4. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

And man, here I was thinking Adobe just got done doing a complete rewrite of Photoshop in Cocoa so it could run in 64-bit mode, after Apple decided on a whim that they were going to discontinue support for Carbon-64 after Adobe had just finished getting CS4 ready...

What a piece of trash article. Apple is one of the most developer unfriendly companies out there, you can't blame Abobe for not pouring tons of resources into product development on a platform which is rapidly changing.

5. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Interesting read. I liked the last few paragraphs, minus the last sentence:

I think the part that is in bold can go both ways.

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Seriously. Credibility went to zero after I read that one. Last I checked, you "Photoshop" something... not "Pixelmate" it.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That article has more holes then swiss cheese.

I see little to no correlation to adobe's decisions back in 1996 is messing with the apple/adobe relationship today.

Adobe in riding the windows bandwagon has made a boatload of money, more money if they stayed on the mac platform.

The issues today with adobe is flash, and how buggy of an app it is, not because they chose not to embrace OSX back when apple was sinking fast.

I bet if adobe was able to resolve a number of the stability/performance issues with flash 2 years ago, even last year we'd not be having this discussion.

Yeah adobe was being lazy and/or arrogant thinking that the flash platform would not be affected but look what's happening. Its not on the iPhone, it was delayed indefinitely on the palm webos. It seems to be delayed on android. Reasons for the delay are stability and battery life.

So the issue isn't as much as adobe spurning apple 16 years ago but one of their current products being poorly written and poorly maintained.