Sorry again! (battery question)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TechGod, Oct 10, 2014.

1. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

My rMBP is 172 days old and has 148 load cycles, is that normal and/or fine?

I'm not killing that battery too much am I?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You're fine. Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug any time you need to, regardless of the charged percentage, and you never need to completely drain your battery.
    The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions, including tips for maximizing battery performance. If you haven’t already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

3. TechGod thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod

I really appreciate this. Thank you.

4. leman macrumors 604

The cycle count depends solely on your usage. I am averaging on 1.5 cycles per day, my laptop is over 2 years old now and the battery is still doing well despite being though 900 cycles. Still over 80% of original capacity.

So while there are people here who boast of having only 20 or so cycles after a year, I think this obsession is a bit ridiculous. Laptop is there to be mobile and to be used. The battery will last 2-3 years at any rate, after which it should be replaced because of age. I'd rather use it as it is convenient for me.

5. TechGod thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod

That's what caused concern for me. Many showed way less cycle counts than me and that with keeping their mac for longer as well.

6. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

I'm at 3yrs 3mths (so 1125 days approx), and have 807 cycles and still have 90% of original capacity....

7. ohbrilliance macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

My 13" rMBP is at 98% capacity after 161 cycles in 11 months.

I do wonder how cycles are calculated. Since I get 10-12 hours on battery per charge, and have it plugged in 80% of the time, there's no way I have I should have rung up so many cycles. Does a cycle really represent the equivalent of one full battery's usage till empty, or have I misunderstood the meaning?

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I can easily say that I've not looked at how many cycles my rMBP has - my 2012 rMBP.

Ignore the cycles, use and enjoy your computer and when the times comes to replace the battery, replace it. Don't sweat the small stuff or obsess over how many cycles it may or may not be incurring.

9. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

A cycle is a complete discharge and recharge. If you discharge it half and recharge this is half a cycle. So tiny amounts of discharging and recharging will add up the charge cycles, just very slowly. Even if your computer is always plugged in, it would very slowly increase in cycles, because the charger turns on and off to prevent the battery from overcharging and exploding.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Read the WHAT IS A CYCLE? section of the Apple Notebook Battery FAQ that I linked in an earlier post in this thread.