Sorry again, should I buy the 13" MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by katyoshi, May 3, 2010.

1. katyoshi macrumors 6502

Hey guys, sorry I know I posted a lot of this issue. For mother's day, I was thinking of taking my mom out to lunch and giving her my mac mini, apple bluetooth keyboard, and mini mouse. I have another apple bluetooth keyboard and the magic mouse for my 24" ACD. I love my macs. I was thinking about keeping my current 15" 2.66gHz (late 2009) MBP for home/desktop-like use and getting the new model 2.4Ghz 13" MBP with upgraded hard drive to 500gb.

I don't need the speedy high graphic type so I won't be needing the 2.66ghz 13" MBP. I just using it for media entertainment such as in itunes, hulu, boxee, graduate school work like researching medical journals, writing papers, creating ppt or keynote presentations, web surfing, and netflix. I was planning to upload office for mac 2008 and iWork on the new MBP as I have the CD for them and an extra license for Mac for office 2008. I have the money to buy the MBP. Should I get it now with the free printer and apple care, or should I wait till this summer when they would possibly have the free ipod touch deal? Is this a sound decision to purchase a new 13" MBP? oh yeah, I really want the 10 hour+ battery life :D.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Do you need the 15" MBP then? You could sell it and buy Mini and almost get the 13" with the leftover, or just get the 13" and use the rest for something wiser.

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Uh......then keep what you already have, which is a very new and fast 15" MBP that can do all of the above.

Or do your parents make too much money?

4. katyoshi thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm a registered nurse who works part time goes to school full-time and lives at home still yet, i'm 24 years old. I make about $32/hour so far...:D

5. Christina1971 macrumors regular

I'm confused:

1. You have a Mac Mini set up and you want to give it to your Mom. Okay. That doesn't seem relevant to your question, but that's a nice thing to do for your Mom, I'm sure she'll appreciate it.

2. You have a 15 in MBP setup with a Cinema Display.

And you want to know if you should get another Macbook Pro? Why would you? You already have a laptop. I understand that you have the money to buy it, but do you have a reason to buy it? What would a 13 inch MBP do that your current laptop setup cannot do? The laptop you have now is not even a year old.

(This isn't just you, but wow, people have "specs" fever on this board! I'm using a 2006 Macbook and it's still good for all of the things you're talking about. It is not as fast as a MBP. On the other hand, I'm not a power user so what do I care if an icon bounces three or four times before it opens?)

Anyway, of course, your money, your choice, but based on what you've said I personally would not consider it a sound purchasing decision. But you have to go with what your heart tells you.

6. acurafan macrumors 6502a

agree with christina! take your $$ and buy AAPL stock, then let other people with your same situation buy the 13" MBP so the stock goes up and you make some decent change. (or give me your $$)

seriously, why?? nice choice giving mini to mommy tho. :D

7. EasyJW macrumors member

i'm sorry but i don't see the point in having 2 mbps? [​IMG] save your money!

8. Shanewilliams macrumors 6502a

Are you wanting to leave the 15" MBP at home all the time hooked up to your acd and have the 13" MBP for portability? If that's the case, then go for it. If not why waste the money?

9. Christina1971 macrumors regular

As I read this again, I see the OP really likes the battery life of new MBPs. So I guess that's one reason to make a change. For me, it's not worth it; the MBP you already have has very good battery life. It doesn't sound like you have a job where you're constantly traveling or are in situations where you can't easily plug in if need be.

10. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

By looking at your sig I noticed the only thing your missing from your line up is the 13 mbp.

11. katyoshi thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess it's the psychological thing where "I gotta have that battery life and new MBP!" :D I'll wait till my applecare is over with this MBP then in about 2 more years.

12. skate71290 macrumors 6502a

are you scared that the money in your pocket will burn a hole in your pocket, fall out and disappear? i feel the same way... saving money annoys me... it's all the hours at work and university and i need to go out and shop all the time lol :p well i was about to suggest an iPad but you already have one of those lol... if you reeeeealy want to spend your money on something... buy an iMac... connect it up to your ACD and use MBP and iPad at work and university... just take both for the hell of it lol hahaha :)