Sorry, Another Obvious Question about FCE4!

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by sbp9731, Dec 15, 2009.

1. sbp9731 macrumors newbie

I am trying to fade out an audio track the old fashion way by clicking on the volume line and seeing the yellow circle come up to split it and just drag down the volume line in icrements to fade out the track(ya know like I movie 6) and cannot find the selection anywhere to do that! and of course the book or the help menu doesn't address i..all they address is taking the volume of the entire track to different levels

can someone clue me in here:)

thanks

2. huntercr macrumors 65816

Double click on your audio clip to get it into the waveform viewer window. One of the buttons at the bottom left is a diamond shape. This is the "audio keyframe" button.

line the play head up where you want the 1st point and click it, then slide it down to the end of where you want to have the effect take place and click it again, then put the play head someplace in the middle and click it a 3rd time. You have to have at least 3 points if you want to make a curve. then drag the middle point down or up and see what it does. The dark purple lines are the audio pan, but don't worry about that right now.

See Chapter 43 of the built in manual (Help->Final Cut Express Manual ) specifically pages 609-621 ( page number may be slightly different as I have FCE 3.5 )

Good luck!!

3. sbp9731 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the prompt response

Thanks I will try that and let you know what happens

ps can this be done in the timeline itself as opposed to the viewer window???

4. huntercr macrumors 65816

No, sorry. It can't be done from the timeline. The audio viewer window lets you edit at sub-sample levels, allowing you to very precisely manipulate your audio to remove clicks and pops amongst other things.

Is there some special reason you want to do something form the timeline?

And by the way, you might just want to use an audio transition instead of doing it yourself.

5. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92