Sorry but have to laugh at this site

camaroIOM

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2010
These threads are getting ridiculous.....I guess thats what make the world go around....My precious my precious what am I going to do....

Sooooooo many were hyped about the iphone 5 just weeks ago and if anyone to the contrary the defense mechanism went up. Now people are bashing it because its not the save all device...This happened with Iphone 1, 3 3s, 4, 4s and now the 5. Why are so many people surprised with the flaws or short comings?? I was expecting all of this when apple started going after something Jobs said would never matter in a phone.

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
These threads are getting ridiculous.....I guess thats what make the world go around....My precious my precious what am I going to do....

Sooooooo many were hyped about the iphone 5 just weeks ago and if anyone to the contrary the defense mechanism went up. Now people are bashing it because its not the save all device...This happened with Iphone 1, 3 3s, 4, 4s and now the 5. Why are so many people surprised with the flaws or short comings?? I was expecting all of this when apple started going after something Jobs said would never matter in a phone.
What? My phone is great. Returned the GS3 for it. All things good here :D

Mliii

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2006
Southern California

First of all, there was a lot of pre-release bashing going on- a bunch of "If they release THIS, I'll never buy it" stuff. They only sold 5 million of the things in 48 hours, so we see how accurate THAT sentiment was.
But to your main point, that's human nature- "I love you I love you I love you...I HATE you, now go away!"

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
I think a lot of it is people who didn't read what the phone was, also, plenty of cry baby posts by 'new' members, which I figure are just android lickers trolling.

camaroIOM

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2010
would love to know the age group that comprises this forum. Might shed a lot of light

skywalkerr69

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2011
New York

Valid argument. I think the phone is great but all these issues are not acceptable. Especially Cook apologizing for the lousy maps and not about all these cosmetic issues?

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
would love to know the age group that comprises this forum. Might shed a lot of light
67 yrs old
Also 67.

Old, dumb, technoboobs.

That certainly sheds light on the obvious decline in the quality of MR.

We ruin everything!

Suggest that you seek a site populated by young, cool, smart, technologically sophisticated, incredibly in-the-know folks, instead of us old, useless, forum destroying fogies.

Attachments

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
I think a lot of it is people who didn't read what the phone was, also, plenty of cry baby posts by 'new' members, which I figure are just android lickers trolling.
I'd rather be a 'troll' than this guy. How pathetic can a 'iFanboy/FanDroid' be? Some people truly are brainwashed to think a product is so amazing, yet I bet that guy can't couldn't tell you why the iPhone 5 is so 'amazing.' I'm not saying it's a bad phone, but if you're going to praise a product, at least know why you are.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Based on the comments over the past couple of years, it appears that a large portion of the readers are between 14 and 22, and still live with mommy and daddy.

The comment quality has definitely gone downhill in the past two years.

What MacRumors really need to do is to install a comment-ranking system use a user-controllable filter that can hide poorly-ranked comments (below whatever threshold is set). This type of comment filtering system saved Slashdot after several years of indescribably inane comments.

But it's probably too late. There's an entrenched group of people who have no idea how a Fortune 500 consumer electronics company functions, how the economics of a global supply chain process influence product decision making, or even the rudiments of physics.

The comments here have gotten so bad that it seems like one out of three is either a troll or a uselessly illogical wish that has zero connection to the real world.

The Powers That Be here don't really care about forum comment quality. They just see the increasing number of pageviews and are ecstatic. Note that this isn't unique to MacRumors. Pretty much all popular tech blogs go through this, including the aforementioned Slashdot.

It's just that human-based forum moderation systems don't scale well, but most site operators don't have the foresight to realize this and execute the entirely possible steps to rectify the damage before it is permanent.

MacRumors, Engadget, AppleInsider, Gizmodo, whatever. It's all the same, the forums are pretty close to useless now.

Last edited:

Comeagain?

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2011
Spokane, WA
Useless news comments, but the rest of the site, not involving news, just helping people with issues or the community parts of the site are very useful.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Yes and no.

There are some legitimate, interesting inquiries about how to solve a particular problem in the Q&A forums. Helping by providing a solution is indeed quite satisfying.

However, legitimate questions are largely outnumbered by a bunch of whiny grumblers. The ratio of good questions to garbage continues to rapidly decline.