Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chortytke

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2006
OK to keep this simple: I work with After Effects, DVD Authoring program and final Cut Studio I have PC now and will need to buy new all new software moving to Mac. Love new technology and my 2 choices i want to go are the MBP or powerPC either Quad or Dual. I know all the software compabilties problems with the new intel and they will be worked out in a year and a half or so. So my questions are: Do i stick with the slow processing temporarily with the MBP, which will be faster in a year (running Natively) or just buy the PowerPC Dual or quad now and suffer the $1800 more and which I will have to upgrade to the new technology in atleast 2 years when all the kinks are worked out with the new intel chips????????
Money does play a little factor but about a $1000 difference does now mean too much to me for the most part and i have to buy a monitor for the PowerPC. THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!

menziep

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2006
chortytke said:
OK to keep this simple: I work with After Effects, DVD Authoring program and final Cut Studio I have PC now and will need to buy new all new software moving to Mac. Love new technology and my 2 choices i want to go are the MBP or powerPC either Quad or Dual. I know all the software compabilties problems with the new intel and they will be worked out in a year and a half or so. So my questions are: Do i stick with the slow processing temporarily with the MBP, which will be faster in a year (running Natively) or just buy the PowerPC Dual or quad now and suffer the $1800 more and which I will have to upgrade to the new technology in atleast 2 years when all the kinks are worked out with the new intel chips????????
Money does play a little factor but about a $1000 difference does now mean too much to me for the most part and i have to buy a monitor for the PowerPC. THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!

If you need a laptop then get the MBP

As for after effects then try the windows version

for info (see link)##

Link

http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Adobe may also be able to give you a cross-grade to the Mac software for a reduced price. Though TBH Boot-Camp (running XP on a MacBook Pro) is probably best for now...

lonelemur90

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2006
New Jersey
i would redommend the macbook pro over the powermac, because final cut already runs natively on it, boot camp just came out, and 3rd party software develpoers are going to start phasing out powerpc apps to keep prices from going up because of the extra time and money needed to make apps universal. that and there will be intel powermacs before the end of the year.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Depends if you prefer a laptop or a desktop computer. Either system will provide you with plenty of horsepower now and for a few years to come. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.