Sorry for beating the dead horse.....ordering 3GS...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jsquared, Jun 15, 2009.

1. jsquared macrumors 6502

jsquared

I've "pre-ordered" my iPhone 3GS to my nearest Apple Store. When I went by the Apple Store I asked about how the pre-order works. The "genius" said that the pre-order is just helping Apple know how many phones to send to that store. In fact it doesn't even guarantee you that phone. After a couple minutes I realized that is much like the Seinfeld skit where Jerry reserves a car but they don't have any cars to rent..."Anyone can just take a reservation they key is holding the reservation."

So now I looked I having one mailed to my apartment. It's actually it's like $11 cheaper to order it from AT&T.

Is this my best option or should I try my luck with my reservation?

I appreciate any advice

2. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

Well you could take your chances go to an apple store friday and if that doesnt work then order one thorugh att

3. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

Why not order from Apple.com and have it shipped to your address? Shipping is free.

4. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

This.

5. JMac13 macrumors newbie

We pre-ordered ours through Best Buy and on Friday we can go in anytime and pick it up guaranteed. All you have to do is leave a $50 deposit. We first asked AT&T and they said it's not guaranteed so that's why we went to BB.

So excited!

6. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

wonder why att told you that they are guaranteed as long as your pre-ordered before saturday

7. hefeglass macrumors 6502a

why is everyone acting like they are going to sell out in the Apple Stores?

first of all....last year AND the year before most of the apple stores still had plenty of supply going into the second day of sales....

ALSO, there was no option to pre-order a phone online and have it delivered last year..if you wanted one, you had to stand in line at an apple store.
    last thing, this year a bunch of children will be unable to convince mommy and daddy to shell out 700 for their yearly iPhone update (as can be seen by the bitching and moaning about AT&T not giving them ANOTHER free upgrade..)

im actually sorta excited to NOT have to stand in line with a bunch of kids who need to call mommy when its time for the credit card...

8. jsquared thread starter macrumors 6502

jsquared

Looks like I'm gonna stop by Best Buy after work. I'll update if anyone is interested.

9. JMac13 macrumors newbie

They said it was guaranteed, but could take up to 14 days. It was confusing and that's why we went to Best Buy. We were the first people to put in a pre-order for Friday so I'm guessing there isn't much demand for it yet or people don't know about it.

10. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

when did you go? if before saturday you are guaranteed one on the 19th, if after saturday then its 7-14 days

11. Rootus macrumors 6502

Exactly.

12. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

Cause some enjoy waiting at the store and getting it first thing in the morning...

13. Rootus macrumors 6502

I guess it takes all kinds ;). One person's enjoyment is another person's torture. Plus, I don't want anybody but me unboxing my new toy :). The Apple Store generally understands this, but the monkeys at AT&T will probably want to unbox it and "set it up" for you. LOL.

14. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

last year i told them i would do it at home!

15. jsquared thread starter macrumors 6502

jsquared

So the Best Buy guy was kind of a jerk, yet informational. He said the $50 deposit guarantees a iPhone 3GS but does not guarantee you get it on Friday. So I'm gonna order on-line, I suppose....