Sorry for the stupid questions, but...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by enc2011, Jun 25, 2011.

1. enc2011 macrumors newbie

...I haven't found the answers anywhere and I've been looking.

I have a 1st gen iphone with unlimited data on at&t (not on contract). If I buy a new unlocked iphone will my data plan remain the same (month to month $25 for unlimited data) if I continue to use my old sim card? Will it run 4G or just the Edge network that I can access with my old phone?

What if I buy a 3Gs off of someone on Craigslist? Do I just use my old card, or will AT&T automatically change my data plan?

Sorry for the stupid questions and thanks for your thoughts!

2. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

first of all, you can't use your 'old sim card' in an unlocked iPhone 4, as the iPhone 4 requires it to be a micro-SIM

secondly, i don't think AT&T will change your data plan just because you switched devices, they wouldn't have a reason to, really.

For an iPhone 4 you'd need a micro-SIM, which you can get from AT&T, and while they do charge for the SIM, i don't think they'll be changing anything about your account.

3. Squid7085 macrumors 6502a

You will not be able to keep the same $20 iPhone Unlimited plan. You will have three options, Grandfathered in to the $30 Unlimited Data, if you want to keep Unlimited, this is your only chance to get it. Otherwise you will have the option for the 2GB for $25 or 200MB for $15.

Secondly, you can use your same SIM, what network you use, be it Edge or 3G is completely dependent on the phone, not the SIM. If you have a SIM card in your iPhone, when you put it in the 3GS, it will be on 3G. No iPhone supports "4G" or even "Fake" 4G that AT&T is boasting about now, so 3G it is.

Edit: If you get the iPhone 4, you would need a Micro-SIM, like the Poster above me said, however, all the contacts are the same it is just, well smaller. If you can't get AT&T to cough one up for you, you can always CAREFULLY cut out the current one to Micro-SIM size.

4. iFiend macrumors 65816

If you buy a new unlocked iPhone 4 you'll need a microsim. Assuming you're getting it from Apple/your carrier it'll come with one. If you're buying out of contract then you keep your old plan.

iPhones are currently not 4G compatible. Obviously your phone will work on 3G as the device is 3G capable?

If you buy a 3GS, and put in your old sim, it'll work just fine and you'll have the same plan. In both the case of buying a new iPhone 4 or a used 3GS you may get charged $30 for unlimited data instead of $25. I never had a 2g so I'm not sure.

Enjoy your new phone.