HomePod Sorry Genius Not Available

Libertine82

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2016
When asking Siri on the HomePod to play more like this she responds with sorry genius is not available, anyone have any ideas?

Shanesan

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2006
Seems to me that this Beta Software released as GM can't do Genius unless you have an Apple Music subscription.

Shanesan

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2006
no probs thanks for the reply though, strange though????
Very strange. Is it a specific song or does it not matter what songs you're playing on?

Also have you tried to say "Hey Siri, Play Something"? When I did that, it said some stuff, did nothing. Then I said "Hey Siri, Play" and it suddenly realized it forgot to do some stuff and told me I have to "wait while I set up your music" which was interesting.

Fixed my problem (though my problem wasn't Genius related)

Libertine82

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2016
Very strange. Is it a specific song or does it not matter what songs you're playing on?

Also have you tried to say "Hey Siri, Play Something"? When I did that, it said some stuff, did nothing. Then I said "Hey Siri, Play" and it suddenly realized it forgot to do some stuff and told me I have to "wait while I set up your music" which was interesting.

Fixed my problem (though my problem wasn't Genius related)
Yup it works with just asking her to play something or asking her to play more of this band when the bands on.
[doublepost=1518808753][/doublepost]haha and now its working, I take it when she says "got it" that its working??? might of been an issue with the servers in the UK?

Shanesan

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2006
Yup it works with just asking her to play something or asking her to play more of this band when the bands on.
[doublepost=1518808753][/doublepost]haha and now its working, I take it when she says "got it" that its working??? might of been an issue with the servers in the UK?
Maybe "Play something" is the magic phrase...?!

Libertine82

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2016
now its back to it not being available??? also didn't play any songs like you said when it was working... im putting it down to an external issue
[doublepost=1518809467][/doublepost]
you're right asked her to play something, then asked for more like this and it worked.. wtf must just be some buggy software?

Libertine82

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2016
well least its kinda working, always prefer software issues to hardware...

bertie123

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2018
When asking Siri on the HomePod to play more like this she responds with sorry genius is not available, anyone have any ideas?
I had the same issue when steaming from my iPhone using airplay, the HomePod doesn't like that command "play more like this" yet it works fine when you initiate the a song or playlist directly through the HomePod and ask the same.

StuartMcN

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2017
I have had this same issue too. If i also ask siri to add a song to a playlist it doesn't automatically update on my different devices. I have to turn off icloud music sharing and then turn it back on to see the songs appear in my playlist that i added from my home pod.

Any ideas why? I am obviously using the same apple music subscription and iCloud account across all devices

StuartMcN

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2017
Ive spoken to apple support regarding playlists not updating and they said to me to remove the homepod in the home app and try re setting up. I did this and the playlist issue still won't update unless i physically do something on my phone. Anyway i then re tried the genius part and it now works fine. Maybe give it a go.

legacyb4

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Apple Music, in Canada

iPhone or Homepod, while a song is playing, "Hey Siri, play more (songs) like this..." gets me "I'm sorry, but Genius is not available".

Clearly broken somewhere along the line.

truesepho

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2014
I’ve got the same issue, I noticed it’s happening if iCloud Music Library is on. If it’s off, commands like “play something I’d like” or “play more like this” work fine. Is it not possible to have iCloud Music Library turned on AND genius available??? I find this really stupid...

Libertine82

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2016
I’ve got the same issue, I noticed it’s happening if iCloud Music Library is on. If it’s off, commands like “play something I’d like” or “play more like this” work fine. Is it not possible to have iCloud Music Library turned on AND genius available??? I find this really stupid...
I have iCloud music turned on, whats the benefits of having it on if i have an apple music subscription? still seems strange that it would stop genius working???

truesepho

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2014
I have iCloud music turned on, whats the benefits of having it on if i have an apple music subscription? still seems strange that it would stop genius working???
Exactly my point, but I tried a few times and when iCloud Music is off genius works fine. It’s frustrating

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.