HomePod Sorry Genius Not Available

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by Libertine82, Feb 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Libertine82 macrumors member

Libertine82

When asking Siri on the HomePod to play more like this she responds with sorry genius is not available, anyone have any ideas?

2. Shanesan macrumors 6502

Shanesan

Seems to me that this Beta Software released as GM can't do Genius unless you have an Apple Music subscription.

3. Libertine82 thread starter macrumors member

Libertine82

I have had an Apple Music subscription since it came out?

4. Shanesan macrumors 6502

Shanesan

Ah, that's news to me. Never heard her fail a Genius request with an AM sub, sorry.

5. Libertine82 thread starter macrumors member

Libertine82

no probs thanks for the reply though, strange though????

6. Shanesan macrumors 6502

Shanesan

Very strange. Is it a specific song or does it not matter what songs you're playing on?

Also have you tried to say "Hey Siri, Play Something"? When I did that, it said some stuff, did nothing. Then I said "Hey Siri, Play" and it suddenly realized it forgot to do some stuff and told me I have to "wait while I set up your music" which was interesting.

Fixed my problem (though my problem wasn't Genius related)

7. Libertine82 thread starter macrumors member

Libertine82

Yup it works with just asking her to play something or asking her to play more of this band when the bands on.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 16, 2018 ---
    haha and now its working, I take it when she says "got it" that its working??? might of been an issue with the servers in the UK?

8. Shanesan macrumors 6502

Shanesan

Maybe "Play something" is the magic phrase...?!

9. Libertine82 thread starter macrumors member

Libertine82

now its back to it not being available??? also didn't play any songs like you said when it was working... im putting it down to an external issue
    --- Post Merged, Feb 16, 2018 ---
    you're right asked her to play something, then asked for more like this and it worked.. wtf must just be some buggy software?

10. Shanesan macrumors 6502

Shanesan

This I can confirm without a doubt :)

Can't wait for the first major patch...

11. Libertine82 thread starter macrumors member

Libertine82

well least its kinda working, always prefer software issues to hardware...

12. bertie123 macrumors newbie

bertie123

I had the same issue when steaming from my iPhone using airplay, the HomePod doesn't like that command "play more like this" yet it works fine when you initiate the a song or playlist directly through the HomePod and ask the same.

13. StuartMcN macrumors newbie

I have had this same issue too. If i also ask siri to add a song to a playlist it doesn't automatically update on my different devices. I have to turn off icloud music sharing and then turn it back on to see the songs appear in my playlist that i added from my home pod.

Any ideas why? I am obviously using the same apple music subscription and iCloud account across all devices

14. Jesla macrumors 6502a

Jesla

Works perfectly fine on both my HP's.... go figure....

15. StuartMcN macrumors newbie

Ive spoken to apple support regarding playlists not updating and they said to me to remove the homepod in the home app and try re setting up. I did this and the playlist issue still won't update unless i physically do something on my phone. Anyway i then re tried the genius part and it now works fine. Maybe give it a go.

16. Polaroid macrumors 6502a

I can not for the life of me get this to work lol

17. legacyb4 macrumors 6502a

Apple Music, in Canada

iPhone or Homepod, while a song is playing, "Hey Siri, play more (songs) like this..." gets me "I'm sorry, but Genius is not available".

Clearly broken somewhere along the line.

18. truesepho macrumors 6502

I’ve got the same issue, I noticed it’s happening if iCloud Music Library is on. If it’s off, commands like “play something I’d like” or “play more like this” work fine. Is it not possible to have iCloud Music Library turned on AND genius available??? I find this really stupid...

19. Libertine82 thread starter macrumors member

Libertine82

I have iCloud music turned on, whats the benefits of having it on if i have an apple music subscription? still seems strange that it would stop genius working???

20. truesepho macrumors 6502

Exactly my point, but I tried a few times and when iCloud Music is off genius works fine. It’s frustrating