Sorry guys I cracked!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jimmyfingers, Jan 24, 2008.

1. jimmyfingers macrumors newbie

Couldn't wait any longer so I've just ordered a refurb 15" 2.2 Glossy for £1100. I'll upgrade the memory to 4gb, HD to a 7200rpm and just keep it for a year. I'll get the latest Montevina (or whatever it's called) in Novmber-December 08 when the issues have been ironed out. For my digital photography and Visual Studio (via Bootcamp) this machine will be fine and looks stunning.

I sold my white MB just before Christmas waiting for the updated MBP but maybe I'm just being greedy as the 2.2 will be fine for this coming year.

2. SoLibertyDies macrumors regular

Glad to see not everyone is just sitting around waiting.

good for you jimmy.

I bought my Core Duo like a month before they came out with C2D.

And here I type, almost 2 years later, and surprisingly enough, my computer still works!

amazing how that works isn't it.

[not to mention it's still amazing]

So congratulations! you'll love it!

3. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

Congrats! You've just bought the best laptop out there!

4. Golcondio macrumors member

Congratulations! Both to you and to me too!

Yesterday I unwrapped my own first Mac: refurb MBP, same specs as you, though I surely won't upgrade the internal HD (I plan on using a firewire one for multitrack recording anyway).
    It's a terrific machine, and I even haven't had the time to install the 4Gb of RAM, what with the Leopard install (it came with Tiger pre-installed, and Leopard on DVD) and the battery conditioning...
    Now the worst part: tedious, tedious migration and painfully necessary Windows XP installation (I wouldn't do it if it weren't for Usine... I really hope the devs will port it soon!)...

BTW, it came without as much as a scratch, the worst things about it were the cheap cardboard box and the missing MagSafe protective cap: I'll live without it, will I?

5. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Why are you apologizing to the MR community? Sorry? Don't be!

6. jimmyfingers thread starter macrumors newbie

If I install 4gb ram though will XP Pro (via Bootcamp) use all of the ram or will it limit it's use to only 2gb?

7. zepharus macrumors 6502a

zepharus

XP 32bit will use 2.7GB of System memory... no more

8. ^squirrel^ macrumors 6502a

^squirrel^

It will see 3gb only.

9. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

Tsk tsk tsk.. "That is why you fail..!" :p

Well, enjoy. :)

10. Anderson3133 macrumors regular

OT: Even if you were to miss the Box, you could always get one off ebay for like $3. I always see someone selling MB and MBP boxes on it.

11. powerchord macrumors member

Congrats! May you have many months (or years) of Mac goodness! I just ordered mine too. It has all that I need, and I need it now. Why wait and drive myself nuts?

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Enjoy! I just got my MBP on Monday and its great. I really don't care if Apple updates it.

13. benzslrpee macrumors 6502

benzslrpee

no need to be sorry...cause knowing Apple they'll probably not update the new MBP to everyones liking: like skimping on the graphics card, or memory, or lack of blu-ray, or lack of good quality LCD panels...i'm sure the list goes on :D

i say just buy it and get it over with

14. Golcondio macrumors member

Sure thing I will! Thanks for the excellent advice!

15. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Congrats Jimmy, that was a smart move buying now. Apple could take a lot longer than we think to update the current line of MBP's. I just bought the latest iMac in September, it took Apple a year before they updated it and the Mac Pros are even longer.

One note Jimmy, learn to appreciate what you have. You told the forum you just got rid of a perfectly fine Macbook in favor of the Pro and now you are only keeping this one for a year. Some of us can't even afford to replace our Macs more than every 5 years.
    Your needs are different I'm sure but I see no reason to constantly change machines so often other than for bragging rights.

16. Paix247 macrumors 6502

I tend to sell my laptops every year (on average) as well... its a problem, but I plan to settle down when I get my hands on a refreshed MBP. ;)

17. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

There's no need to be patronizing. Just because YOU see no need to change machines frequently doesn't mean that other people don't have a legitimate need to. And even if the OP doesn't, it's his money, and if he wants to spend it on unnecessary upgrades, who are you to tell him that's a bad use of it?

One more point - upgrading frequently is not as expensive as it seems. The reason is that if you sell a mac after only a year, you can get back a very substantial chunk of what you paid for it (75%?). On the other hand, if you keep a mac 5 years, its value will be a couple hundred at most, depending on how much it was to begin with.

I'm making numbers up here, but I think they're not crazy (based on my own experience selling a good number of macs), so bear with me. Let's say we have 2 buyers, each of whom buys a $2000 mac in year one. A sells each year, for $1500 (75% the original cost) and buys a new $2000 machine. B keeps his for 5 years, before selling at the end of year 5, for $500 (25%).

Year/A/B
    1 - 2000, 2000
    2 - 2500, 2000
    3 - 3000, 2000
    4 - 3500, 2000
    5 - 4000, 2000
    6 - 4500, 3500

So, with my admittedly BS numbers, at the start of year 6, when both A and B buy a new mac, A has spent $1000 more than B, and in exchange, has had the latest model each year rather than working with the same, aging machine the whole time. $1000 is not chump change, but frequent upgrades are not as crazy as it might seem.

18. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Wow, you certainly took this way way way far for what I was saying. I didn't even mention to the OP that replacing machines every year was a bad use of his MONEY? You must do this since you came across so highly defensive. I would recommend to you to check the definition of "patronizing" because based on your response of what I said to the OP I obviously wasn't patronizing him, how old are you??:rolleyes:

19. akadmon macrumors 68010

Well, I guess no need to apologize. It is, after all, a refurb. However, if the OP bought "new", I would be really pissed :mad: The more people who still buy these things "new", the less incentive for Apple to roll out the really new stuff.

20. a4abt macrumors regular

x2 an update could have been great, but the current MBP specs are all I needed. One thing I would appreciate is less heat from the notebook, but no big deal.