Sorry if nooby question but ranks on MacRumors confuse me :)

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by jamesjingyi, Sep 9, 2013.

1. jamesjingyi macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

So next to my name in a forum it says macrumors 6502 and other people have different ones... What are the ranks or is all this completely random :) I know bout Demi-God etc :) Also where can I set the pic that many have under their names :)

2. simsaladimbamba

How do user titles work? from the MacRumors FAQ
    You need an additional 196 posts to set an avatar.

3. jamesjingyi thread starter macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

4. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Personal thing here, but Macrumors Core? Assuming it is a work title (like the server/back end guy), but you never know... whats it mean? :confused:

5. simsaladimbamba

The admins changed how user titles work a while ago, but seem to have not yet updated the FAQ even though they "promised" they would do so.

Look here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1518425

6. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Oh. Better go annoy them...
    I for one, didn't even notice the difference until recently (Macrumors Westmere got me). You did update when I took a long leave from the forums though, so that is part of it.

Now to get rid of my 6502a... I might just take a popular users route and post 255 insults. :D

I did like the whole G3, G4, G5 architecture though (seemed pretty cool). I assume those are still used, and then P6, Core, Westmere, Nehalem (in no real particular order because I can't remember releases...)

Will there ever be a macrumors Haswell or i7? I think those would be cool to have.

7. simsaladimbamba

Not i7, but Haswell will be there, once someone reaches those 47,000 posts or so after going through Sandy and Ivy Bridge.

8. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Hmm.
    Well, only 46,747 posts to go. Maybe when I'm old and crotchety I'll get there.

9. mizaco macrumors member

yeah i find the rules on the number of required posts to be pretty silly.

10. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Not really... It's a way to keep people giving back to the community as well as develop trust. Like 250 posts are needed for the marketplace, as well as 6 months membership. This helps show that they are willing to stick around and are a real person who doesn't just want to bomb the forum trying to snag a better deal, but rather cares about the community.

As far as the avatar, it's just nice having a little indication whether someone is an established member or a newbie (generally speaking). Helps a lot with the whole "choose your audience" thing.

11. mizaco macrumors member

wow i didn't know it took 6 months for that! thats amazing! they ought to offer some premium membership service here.

12. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I'm not sure where you saw a promise (not saying you didn't), but the ranges are not usually added to the FAQs until members figure them out.

Maybe the promise was to add them as people figured them out? I haven't checked if we've kept up with that. (There are other concerns today that have priority. :p)

It's supposed to be fun. As with everything, not everyone will appreciate it. But it's harmless.

13. simsaladimbamba

That is why I put it in "". No worries, but since we figured out P6 and Core, maybe they could be added?
    And 21,000 probably brings one to the next level?

Anyway, the priority lies hopefully in my use of past threads started by me on totally irrelevant topics for posting those snippets of information in? Don't tell me it's noooooot? ;)

And if this :rolleyes: is really the sarcasm smilie, then I don't want to use it anymore.

14. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Looks like the Admins have been slacking lately!

Unacceptable. I think Arn needs to step in and wrangle in these loose cannons.

:D

15. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

He's gotta catch us first. :cool:

16. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Herding cats I tell yeah!