Sorry if this has been asked a lot before BUT (American Import issues)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TPM, Apr 28, 2007.

1. TPM macrumors newbie

Hello!:)

I am living in the UK.
    I was planning to get a macbook from the apple UK store but then this whole £$ thing happened and now I could buy a southern state with my pocket money.:rolleyes:
    Anyway I was thinking very seriously about buying a macbook pro (I'm a keen video-editer etc. and looking for some more serious-ish hardware) from the apple US store. Maybe I'm too naive to no if that's considered as very immoral but I am going to be spending a good £1000+ and in all honesty I'd like to get as much value for money as possible.
    So I have a few questions for any braniacks (and maybe they could tell me how to spell brainiack) if they could give me a few minutes:

1. Any chance I can use the same pay-per-month schemes from the US store that are in the UK-store (note: I probably won't do this anyway as the possibility of the exchange rate changing over the next two years means I could end up paying a lot more than I intend to).

2. What will the major differences be between a macbook pro from the USA and the UK? I know that the keyboard will be slightly different, but what about the DVD player? Will I be able to change the region?

3. I've heard the warrenty for macbooks is world-wide so I'm safe there, but if someone could confirm that that'd be great.

4. I don't think it's illegal but please someone shout at me if I'm wrong.

5. Can I use UK software on it?

6. Will this p!ss Apple off?

7. Will I DEFINITELY be charged extra for importing something from America? Will this be a huge amount?

8. Lastly, could someone just properly outline for me if it's really worth going to any real trouble to get a macbook instead of a macbook pro, and in any case, should I just stick with my store and get a macbook from the UK?

Thank you all, I appreciate any responces.:)

Thanks!

2. Jebaloo macrumors 6502

I believe that the keyboard layout would be different. You will be charged tax. I think the only way to avoid would be to go out there yourself, throw aay the box and bring it back in your handluggage as though it wasn't new. I don't know about postage.

3. TPM thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, but would the tax be a lot (I'm thinking yes!).

4. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

Hey. :)

Brainiac I think.. I'm not sure its a word. :D

I doubt you would be able to do this.

Region is definitely changeable, I think only 5 times though.. would be fine.

Confirmed - notebooks have worldwide warranty's.

I did it, I hope its not.. If you take it through customs without declaring it it is.

Fo sure!

Nah. They're getting your money either way.

If its being sent from america, insured to the right value, and declared as what it is at the correct value, you will be slapped with 17.5% tax. Ouch. If you are going to america, by all means buy it, buy a laptop case, and bring it back. **** declaring it.. Can't really see how it would work posting it though, unless you chance it and send it declared as something else. Lot of money to lose if it gets lost in the post. I got an iPod mini sent to me a month or so after they came out declared as a $15 gift, and it got through fine.. I was lucky.

Currently, I would say the MacBook Pro's don't really justify their higher prices to me. That said, they are very very nice machines, and if I was in your position I would certainly be tempted by one... can't say why though!

Pas de problem.

5. Roba macrumors 6502

I think that you are looking at least £300 customs tax for this item. I myself was taxed £60 for something costing £200.

If you have a friend in the US who could send things out to you that would be a better bet than just getting them sent on directly from some sellers.

If you buy from the US store you need a US address to ship the item out to.

6. thomasp macrumors 6502a

Isn't the UK customs import tax 22%? I can't remember where I read this but I know it was somewhere relating to importing computers from the States to the UK.

7. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

They'll probably refer you to the UK store instead.

8. mikemanch macrumors newbie

Hi - apologies for jumping into this thread.

I'm thinking about doing a similar thing to the original poster - I'm going to the US in June so was going to buy a MBP from an Apple Store and bring it back to the UK in a laptop case.

With the £-$ being so favourable, and taking into account the state tax, I'm still looking at a saving of over £500 for doing this.

Other than the keyboard layout, the only thing I think I would need to consider is the power voltage - would it be simple enough just to use a travel adaptor to change the plug from a US to UK plug?

If I've not thought of anything else which could be a problem, it would be much appreciated if anyone could let me know.

Thanks.

9. bartelby macrumors Core

If you ordered from the Apple Store in the US they'd definitely mark the customs declaration as a computer and for the full value, due to insurance issues.

The maximum value they can put for tax free merchandise is £18 ($36 approx) or £36 ($72) if it's marked as a gift.

If they see a big box with a low value they would open it to see what's in there.
    I say "If" because they don't look at every single parcel that comes through.

10. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

I'm pretty sure the Apple Store US won't let you order to the UK, they'll tell you to order in the UK store.

mikemanch, yes, an adaptor is actually all you need. You might not even need that - if you take the US bit off of the Apple plug, you are left with a standard power cable insert - you know the power cable you use with Playstation 2, some razors, some radios, kettles.. those default power cables, you're bound to have one around your house. That will fit straight into the US plug Apple supply.

11. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

These do not have an earth. :eek:

12. bartelby macrumors Core

Neither do MacBooks.

13. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

Doesn't the tranny?

14. bartelby macrumors Core

Nope. The socket on the brick is a 2 pin socket.

15. mikemanch macrumors newbie

Thanks for getting back to me about the power supply - given my DIY skills I may end up just buying a UK power supply rather than chopping my cables up!.

Thanks again.

16. TPM thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you to everyone who posted, especially XIII!

I'm thinking now I probably won't be able to do what I was gonna, mainly cause Amazon.com won't deliver macbooks to Europe, and I'm guessing Apple will be the same. If I know anyone going to America I could ask them to get one. Could they be charged even if they said they bought it for them and were 'using it'? Or would they have to disguise it as a UK laptop?

Thanks again!

17. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

18. Shagrat macrumors 6502a

Shagrat

Ain't gonna happen, let's face it.

19. Shagrat macrumors 6502a

Shagrat

On the other hand, Adobe REALLY ought to check their international pricing!

20. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

My US MacBook uses a grounded/earthed (3-prong) plug into the wall. Although the brick has only two pins in it, the 'guide' on the brick is metal and there are contacts in the cord that mate with it, creating the third conductor. This is different from my 600MHz G3 iBook, which did not have the third contact in the brick and only had a two-prong wall plug.

Having said that, a buddy of mine is using his newer, grounded/earthed MacBook brick (same as mine) with an older-style, two-conductor cord (recycled from an iBook nearly as old as mine) with seemingly no ill effects.

How to spell it, and where it comes from: Brainiac

(and while we're at it, it's "know"! :) )

21. Ibanez Strummer macrumors member

Agreed! I just ordered a macbook in UK. Luckily I can get educational discount so didn't have to pay full price, but in comparison.

England = £879.01 which is $1,756.53.
    US identical laptop...$1,299.00.

That means in the UK we have to pay over $450 more just because of where we live. I'm not saying that the mac isn't worth the British price, just that they should probably be fairer between different countries. It won't change as almost all technology is cheaper in US, but just a bit annoying.

22. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Let's review:
    If a MacBook is physically purchased in the US, then the buyer will pay State and Local taxes as appropriate for the location it was purchased.

If ordering by mail, US taxes won't be applied, but shipping and insurance will. VAT and any applicable dutues and customs brokerage handling fees will be applied on entry to the UK.

When carrying over the border entering the UK, it does not matter if it is "theirs" or "used" or whatever. It matters if it was purchased in the UK or not, and if VAT and any duties have ever been paid. So VAT and any appropriate duties will have to be paid.

If the individual attempts to carry it over the border without declaring it, they are at risk for confiscation and charges.

(If you are travelling with a new laptop purchased in your country, it's a fine idea to carry a photocopy of the invoice, proving it was purchased 'at home' in case a bright spark of a customs agent figures you are doing some importing.)

Is that UK price with or without VAT?
    Taxes are additional on all US and Canadian prices. Prices are never advertised inclusive.
    Comparable price US$1526.33 inclu. VAT

And if you are buying from Apple's UK HE store, you are getting 3 years coverage for free that others pay $250 for.

23. TPM thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey I was just testing yu!

:D

24. TPM thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for everbody's comments - I think I'm gonna buy a shiny macbook with 2 GB ram - hopefully that should do everything I want!

25. thomasp macrumors 6502a