Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lavino

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2011
I read most related topics on google I am still confused...

Most ppl said don't backup your Bootcamp Win7 with Time Machine. I excluded it out in TM. I notice that even I partition it as 500G I only see 40G in the windows drive then I guess it will grow up to 500G? So what happens if you backup that in Time Machine and the do a restore? Will it overwrite that Win7 bootcamp with that backup? Or will it ignore it?

Say if I have a bootcamp win7 install now and without the Time Machine backup, then I need to run a back to restore my osx stuff. Will it erase the whole bootcamp and lose everything I setup in win7?

Also, what will be the best tool (hopefully free) to backup that Win7. I spent hrs installing all the PC games I got plus some steam stuff downloaded for hours... I don't wanna redo all that again LOL. Is there a tool to do it on osx and magically backup or restore the bootcamp stuff? Or I have to go into Win7 to do the backup and recovery.

Sorry it's been asked before I am sure.. I am just confused as hell now. Thanks so much.

desantii

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2006
Aurora, IL
I use Winclone, works like a charm

I read most related topics on google I am still confused...

Most ppl said don't backup your Bootcamp Win7 with Time Machine. I excluded it out in TM. I notice that even I partition it as 500G I only see 40G in the windows drive then I guess it will grow up to 500G? So what happens if you backup that in Time Machine and the do a restore? Will it overwrite that Win7 bootcamp with that backup? Or will it ignore it?

Say if I have a bootcamp win7 install now and without the Time Machine backup, then I need to run a back to restore my osx stuff. Will it erase the whole bootcamp and lose everything I setup in win7?

Also, what will be the best tool (hopefully free) to backup that Win7. I spent hrs installing all the PC games I got plus some steam stuff downloaded for hours... I don't wanna redo all that again LOL. Is there a tool to do it on osx and magically backup or restore the bootcamp stuff? Or I have to go into Win7 to do the backup and recovery.

Sorry it's been asked before I am sure.. I am just confused as hell now. Thanks so much.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
windows7 does include a backup that is creating a image that you can like time machine restore with all the programs and files you installed

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.