Sorry - more protection questions - trackpad etc

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by sixxmum, Dec 26, 2010.

1. sixxmum macrumors 6502a

sixxmum

Hi all! Like many others, I got a new Air 11 yesterday and am now doing all the research on what it does or doesn't need for protection. This is my first MAC, so I don't have quite the background to judge.

I've seen a few people recommending the Invisible Support wraps, but to be honest, I'm afraid of the install. The PowerSupport protection pack (wrist wrest, track pad) looks interesting, but I'm not sure it's a good plan to change the feel of the wrist area. I think I'll pick up a ShaggyMac, just because that's no commitment :)

So, I guess I'm asking for advice. PS protection pack - yes or no? Wrap/skin or just a sleeve? I know some of this is personal opinion, but I'm interested in your advice for a brand new MAC user.

Thanks!

2. Aboo macrumors 6502a

It really comes down to personal preference. I used to install Invisible Shields/Body Guardz on my systems but soon realized that they were a hassle to install and you loose the nice brushed aluminum feel of the mac. I tend to take care of my macs, and so have not bothered putting on any shields, etc.

That being said, there are others out there who would prefer not to have even a single scratch or nick on their machine, which is fine. It all depends on how protective you are of your system.

If you want the minimalist protection - you can do nothing. Just use a nice sleeve/carrying case.

For a little more protection - go with the Moshi Palmguard, really good quality and matches the aluminium color well. The Shaggymac/Radtech cloth will just protect the screen from the finger oils on the keys.

More protection - go for invisible shield/full body coverage or one of those hard cases (though it defeats the purpose of having a light and portable 11" air when you snap on a hard case IMHO).

3. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

This is my protection pack

Moshi Clearguard to protect from oily keys
    [​IMG]

Moshi palmguard to protect from scratches from my watch; matches the look of your mac almost perfectly, has a very good feel to it, and very durable
    Moshi trackguard - you don't really need this since the trackpad is made of glass, but I like the texture of it
    [​IMG]

Radtech screensvrs - to protect from oily imprints from keys to screen - doubles as a microfiber cloth
    [​IMG]

Wrapsol - the best you can get skinwise because of the matte/sparkling finish and scratch protection; hard cases have been known to be hard to remove and cause scratches themselves due to dust getting into them
    [​IMG]

I personally like having all this protection as I sell my computers quite frequently. I am always able to get top dollar for my computers so a little investment to keep things clean right now make me a happy owner and seller.

4. sixxmum thread starter macrumors 6502a

sixxmum

Thanks for the feedback so far. I ordered a Borsabella.com bag/sleeve (love her stuff). Now thinking about a Wrapsol (even though the application makes me nervous) and maybe either a radtech or shaggy cloth.