Sorry power book, but you cost to much.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by AP_piano295, Apr 8, 2009.

1. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

So i've had a ibook g4 for the last 4 years and I've beaten the hell out of it, so much so that its no longer portable (I may have slept on it and snapped the screen hinge so now I leave it propped against some books on my desk :rolleyes:).

I've honestly loved it but I think I need a new computer for my second year of college and I dont think I can justify getting a mac. I want some power this time around and the baseline price for a powerbook with edu discount is $1900.00 or about $1700.00 if they run the free ipod deal again and I can sell the ipod for 200. Either way I cant justify this to myself

MacBook Pro

Very nice 15inch screen 1440x900
    2.4ghz core 2 duo
    2 gigs of ram
    250 gb hd
    grphx 9400 + 9600M w. 256mb dedicated v-ram
    web cam
    metal---> I'm really not worried about this (in fact I might think of it as a negative) I usually consider plastics to be more durable then a metal in this form.
    OSX :)

Best case scenario price = $1700.00

ASUS M50 Series M50Vm-B1 NoteBook
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220343
    15inch screen (dont know how nice but I bet nice) 1400x900
    4 Gigs of ram
    2.53ghz core 2 duo
    320 gb HD
    grphx 9600M w. 1024mb dedicated v-ram
    web cam
    Vista :mad: (but the new windows will be around more when I get this dont know how it works but it might be better)

price $1100.00

OSx vs. Windows

OSx wins in
    Smoothness and being virus free
    Software (though I cant say I use garageband, iphoto, imovie much/at all and I have plenty of friends w. macs who can do it for me)

Windows wins.

Games...(dont play these much anymore but if something fun comes out it'll be better on a pc...and it'll be on a pc)
    I already have microsoft office for windows not for OSx

I know I did'nt consider every element here but atm I dont think I can justify buying a mac to myself...

So I'm asking for help...help me justify buying a powerbook, I really do WANT to, but as I see it now I really cannot buy a mac.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You want to buy a powerbook? I'll sell you mine for $600. It's a powerbook. ;)

BTW, it's a MacBook Pro or a MacBook.

3. AP_piano295 thread starter macrumors 65816

Haha my bad i'm just used to calling them the powerbook and I still think of them like that.

mods, if you wouldn't mind edidting the title to MacBook Pro.

4. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

You can do it yourself if you hit the edit button... Also sponging your friends macs for garageband is a bit selfish...

5. ikermalli macrumors 6502a

Take a look on eBay, CL, Kijiji or Apple refurbs, you will get a really good price there.

6. AP_piano295 thread starter macrumors 65816

Not really any time I would be doing a video project or something it would probably be in conjunction with these friends...so no.

7. AP_piano295 thread starter macrumors 65816

Better price but still really high, and the ones in the refurb store right now take a significant hit in the graphics compartment.

I would prefer to stay off of ebay, (I like having a company I can send my stuff back to without any complications of having gone through ebay.)

Does anybody have some solid technical reasons why powerbooks have more punch than it might initially appear?

8. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Hmmm, still either way, it's better to have your own machine than rely on others.

9. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

I say this again and again to people: think in the long term. Computers nowadays last a couple of years for the nerdy user (or less) and more for the average user. If you want a product that is going to consistently keep you pleased, pay the premium and get a Mac. Remember that if games are a big factor for you, you can always install BootCamp and run them from a MBP. I play games on my MBP and it seems to run them decently, especially when I upped my RAM.

But again, let me stress that if you want to be satisfied with your investment for the long haul and if you want to get a product that will likely get you more in resale value down the road, the Mac is the clear winner.

10. AP_piano295 thread starter macrumors 65816

Better but probably not worth 600+ dollars to me.

The video projects I do are all skiing videos and most the people I ski w. have macbook pro's.

11. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

So if you can't afford the Macbook Pro and still want a Mac, get the Macbook. Otherwise, no amount of posting on this forum is going to change your budget so you should get the Asus.

12. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

I'd say after being here 4 years, OP isn't post increasing...

OP, I'm guessing you use Final Cut Pro?

13. AP_piano295 thread starter macrumors 65816

I believe this...kind of and its the element that has been giving me the most pause. Re-sale value is not a factor for me I always find some use for computers untill they are gone beyond repair, or if they've gotten to the point where I don't use them they arent very sell-able so I give them to a friend or family member.

As far as keeping me happy I'm good with windows and I'm not shy about re-formatting a couple times a year, the life i've gotten out of my macs is really about the same as the life I've gotten out of my PC's (though within my family we've had a few pc's dead within months but w. the money I save I can buy an extended warranty.)

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I have no idea what to tell you.

If you need more power than what the MacBook Pro offers, then you really have no choice but to get the Asus. Windows vs. OS X doesn't have anything to do with hardware requirements.

Get the Mac if you want OS X, and are OK with less power.

15. AP_piano295 thread starter macrumors 65816

More photoshopp and Gimp personally, like I said video projects have always been more of a team effort and I've typically not been the one in charge of video editing.

I do some work with logic, though I've been doing less and less of it lately so its not a big consideration.

I'm well aware that posting here wont change any of the facts, but clearly I'm thinking about this still and I want some input, who knows I might change my mind. Maybe prices will change in a few months, maybe apple will come out with a game changer.

atm. I see nothing wrong about asking and if you dont want to read and talk (above poster) I'm really not making you.

16. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

Well if you've been able to experience owning both a PC and a mac and you personally get the same amount of satisfaction out of either of them...and you're not concerned with aesthetics (metal vs. plastic) and you're not concerned with resell value, I guess there's no reason not to save money!

But from my standpoint, I have never been as satisfied with a PC as I am with my Mac...and the fact that I can choose to run either OSX or Windows instantly makes the Mac a better choice in my eyes. But hey, if that doesn't really apply to you, by all means save the $700, is that even a question? haha

He's right, don't bash him for asking other peoples' opinions...what's wrong with doing that anyway?

17. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Well then the Macbook would still be a suitable machine, and it would be a heck of a speed bump than compared to your G4.

18. AP_piano295 thread starter macrumors 65816

I am ok with less power honestly I just dont know if I can be ok with less power and up to twice the price.

And I'm aware that talking on this form wont change that, idk I'm just hoping somebody will hit me with something I havent considered thats worth 2-4 hundred bucks to me.

19. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Err, I was referring to the OPs budget. "No amount of posts in this thread arguing for a Mac will increase the OPs budget" is how it should have read.

20. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

ahhh ok, gotcha :cool:

21. AP_piano295 thread starter macrumors 65816

22. AP_piano295 thread starter macrumors 65816

I've thought about it, and I think the big thing holding me back is the screen size the jump between 13 and 15 seems huge for some reason. It doesnt bother me except when I open photoshopp or gimp.

If apple sold a 15 inch ibook I dont think we'd be having this conversation.

23. AP_piano295 thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm not necessarily un-able to afford a macbook pro I just dont know if I can justify soending 50% extra for a machine that is less capable than a powerbook.

24. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

Because of the first reason you said! The PC is just going to give you ***** and the Mac is going to make you worry free and more satisfied about your purchase.

Think of it this way:

You can either spend 1200 dollars and be pissed about how its a piece of junk a year down the road and think you wasted 1200 dollars, OR

You can spend 1700-1800 dollars and love it.

25. desiringGod macrumors regular

Buy a refurb macbook for $1100 and then a nice dell monitor for around $300 for your photoshop/gimp work.