(sorry, sacrilige alert) How to buy a Windows PC

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by JoeSixPack, Sep 8, 2012.

1. JoeSixPack macrumors member

JoeSixPack

I'm sorry to have to post this question, but MR is the home of the smartest people I know :)

I have to replace my wife's Dell Windows PC because it is approaching 10 years old with another Windows PC so she can work from home. (She hates computers and buying a Mac that ran Windows as a partition would be too complicated).

Hoping that you will accept my apology I have two questions:

1) Is there a Windows PC manufacturer that comes out of the box with software to transfer your files from the old computer? (Like a Mac does)

2) Is there a Windows PC manufacturer that will sell you a machine without all those demos and other useless craplets? (will pay extra for this)

Thanks all!

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Get a Dell Vostro machine. They're cheap, but well made. They're crapware free, with the exception of some Dell backup software, and they look nice in a machined sense of the matter.

I'm sure there's some software to transfer stuff over, but I think Windows 7 has a file and settings transfer wizard built in, although I've never used it.

3. JoeSixPack thread starter macrumors member

JoeSixPack

Thanks!

4. theheyes macrumors regular

Microsoft sell signature PCs without the crud installed if you're in the US.

5. JoeSixPack thread starter macrumors member

JoeSixPack

Thanks, a couple more bucks than Best Buy but worth it for the simplicity!

6. Mikewh macrumors member

7. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

why? she clearly isnt interestef in a mac. so why spend more on a mba when she can get a much more powerful machine from dell for the same price or less?

agree with the other posters. dell vostro or a microsoft signature pc.

even pcs with crap arent to bad. just uninstall it