Sorry to ask, but what MB should I buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ManuelGnR, Feb 14, 2009.

1. ManuelGnR macrumors regular

Yes, this is just another topic about wat to buy. But I have pretty a dillemma and I'm curious to hear some of your tips & advice, and reasons.

As you can see in my sign, I am going to buy an iMac asap. Late feb I have the money for the 24'' I want. But in or after summer, I will have some money again and now I am thinking of buying a MacBook:D

But which one do I really need? Do I need it at all?

I will love the portability, just take it downstairs, take it on the couch, take it on vacation, whatever, etcetera.
    But the reason I really want it, is because I'm thinking about writing again, as in writing a book. And I think that would just be great to do on a beautiful MacBook.:)

So, I would mostly use it for writing and I will put my music on it and that's about it. I could buy a 5-year-old iBook, could I?

But, sadly, I don't really like iBooks:D

Whatever I buy, it's got to be beautiful.

I like the aluminium thing, as well as the white thing and the MacBook Air. A MacBook Pro of course is rediculous. I am willing to buy a secondhand MB or a refurb, because it's just extra (usually I don't like secondhand buying:p)

But one big problem, I live in the Netherlands. Refurbs are not being selled here, and I can't ship the damn thing from the US to NL. Plus, I think refurbs still would be bit to expensive.

So, conclusion, what shall I buy, how much will it cost?

Thanks in advantage:confused::)

:apple:

2. svndmvn Guest

Not having a refurb store blows, we do in Italy and I've actually sent a few iPhones to your country for repairs, you have to be full of refurbs..
    Either way, I'd suggest getting a new aluminum macbook 2.0GHz, it is really portable, a macbook air would probably be even better but since the price is really higher and you can't find refurbished ones, that's my suggestion.

3. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Buy it from the UK refurb store, actually I think most European countries have one.

4. svndmvn Guest

5. ManuelGnR thread starter macrumors regular

Exactly, I tried that as well.

When I try the US Refurb store, the country is ''United States'' and unchangeable so I can't send it to NL. Which will probably be the same for other Refurb stores.

Weird that we don't have one here, we're not that small haha :D

EDIT: I saw that Belgium doesn't even have their own Apple site, they can order from the NL one or something? Taxes and stuff in Belgium are totally different, for which they would need their own site right?

6. ManuelGnR thread starter macrumors regular

Would I really need that for just writing? Or is it so addicting that I will use it more... :D

I can't see why a MacBook Air would be better then a MacBook, I would only buy it when I would buy a refurb from like US because it's awesome thin and even cheaper than a MacBook. But sadly, I can't buy from US/refurbs.

7. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

Hoe veel geld wil je uit geven? Dat heeft er natuurlijk alles mee te maken. Je wilt dus binnenkort een iMac kopen en dan later dit jaar een macbook?

Hmm,

Als je genoeg geld in een Macbook investeert heb je geen iMac meer nodig. Of wil je per se een iMac?

Ik heb pas een 2.4 MB gekocht en die is echt super, fantastisch! Snel genoeg voor allerlij taken en dingetjes.

Als je alleenmaar een boek er mee wilt schrijven, dan zou de 2.0 MB genoeg zijn, denk ik.

8. svndmvn Guest

well, you can write on anything, a Macbook is close to what an iMac would be on the go. A macbook air is simply more portable, better screen, a bit weaker and less expandable though.

9. ManuelGnR thread starter macrumors regular

That's what I was thinking about today as well.. Maybe I just wánt an iMac, maybe I will need it over a MB...

The thing is, what I need for my basic needs is just an iMac. Maybe I should buy a cheaper-than-cheap notebook for the writing, just an old crappy thing, maybe an iBook..

10. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Instead of an iMac and a macbook, why not get a macbook pro, and an external monitor?

11. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

I was about to write the same thing. The 15" with 2.53 or maybe 2.8 GHz is pretty damn powerful, and the new 17" ones will probably be as good, if not better in the graphics as they will not be down clocked like the 15" usually is.

Maybe give us more information on what you will be doing with the iMac?

12. ManuelGnR thread starter macrumors regular

I think I know what to get

I think I made my decision.

I pretty like the PowerBook G4. Good stuff, good price...

Just waiting for replies or offers now.. :D

---

However, to answer the question..

I will use my iMac for downloading, music, movies, bit gaming, and basic stuff. I maybe don't really need a iMac for it, but whatever. Maybe some graphic stuff too. Atm only using a light & free programm: Google SketchUp, but on a good computer maybe some more graphical stuff..

---

Thanks all for your help, advice, and time!

If anyone feels need to still give me some good advice, feel free ofcourse.

People offering a PowerBook G4, willing to ship to the Netherlands, also welcome ;)