Sorry to ask: Buy MBP or wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 2807, Apr 8, 2011.

  1. 2807 macrumors member

    Jan 9, 2011
    Sorry folks. Just curious what the consensus is for the new MBP dates? I have a MBAir and want to get either 15 or 17 inch. However, damn, those things are huge after 3 years with the Air.

    Are the wonderful rumors of a 15 or 17 MBP in a slimmer design true? I need this mac for school and can wait about 2 months more... Should I?
  2. Looon macrumors 6502a


    Jul 10, 2009

    Look in your heart and I think you already know what the answer is going to be.
  3. kobyh15 macrumors 6502a

    Jan 29, 2011
    Buy now. The current MBPs have only been out a month. I think I can undeniably say that there will be no redesign within the next 2 months. The only thing you would be doing is depriving yourself of a great machine for 2 months. No reason to wait.
  4. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020


    Oct 1, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    2 months? If you can wait 2 months then buy in two months. You can probably find a refurb of the new ones now. But don't expect a new design, only possibility is getting Lion with a new system.
  5. bozz2006 macrumors 68030


    Aug 24, 2007
    Apple doesn't do a refresh very often. About once a year. So I wouldn't expect a product update for at least 6 months. If you can wait, and you think you'll be disappointed that you didn't wait, then you should wait. Otherwise, buy now.
  6. TheFarmer macrumors 6502

    Jan 13, 2011
  7. SakBee macrumors newbie

    Apr 6, 2011
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

    Buy it now. I think it will meet your needs if it's mainly for school. I think people mainly want the newly redesign ones to "future-proof" their stuff. I do agree with this. Laptops are expensive, especially Macs. However...

    My last notebook was a 1.6 C2D Toshiba and that thing lasted me 7 years. This is my first Mac and I love it. That being said, I'm hoping my 2011 MBP will last me longer than my Toshiba. I bought my 2k11 MBP because I need it now. I'm not too worried about "future-proofing" because technology moves so fast, it becomes old technology way too soon. Start enjoying what's available now and start saving your $$$ for the next Mac you gonna buy!
  8. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a


    Sep 26, 2010
    Peterborough, Canada
    Just get one now as the refresh just took place. We probably won't see another refresh for close to 1 year. Unless you are waiting for Lion...but even then you are depriving yourself of a new machine.
  9. 2807 thread starter macrumors member

    Jan 9, 2011
    Thanks Folks! Great info.

    I will buy soon, not wait. I was not sure if the slimmer design was nearing. Oh well. I will not wait. I will just figure out a way to buy again if it comes out next year sometime. heh heh.

    Thanks again
  10. AlanFord macrumors regular

    Feb 26, 2011
    These are really great and powerful mac's.Buy now.No need to wait.Line is recently updated, and for shure it wont be new updates at least 6-7 month's.
  11. jvmxtra macrumors 65816


    Sep 21, 2010
    I waited over year to get 2011 mbp 15.
    Honestly, I expected more but I couldn't wait any longer. My next gig is to keep this thing as clean as possible and sell when next mba comes out.

    I can do without ipad 2 -- although it's rather hard -- mb(x), I need it at all time.(I also have work laptop but I am on laptop 24x7)
  12. MacCrackAddict macrumors member

    Mar 31, 2011
    I honestly think you should get one now as i have put off getting one for over a year hoping the recently released line would bring more of a facelift. But when it comes down to it, the new MBPs are beasts and it was driving me INSANE waiting so i ordered the new 13" and you will not regret it. You will be waiting forever otherwise, that's the problem with trying to keep up.

    Just get what you need and are happy with now and don't look back
  13. Apple 26.2, Apr 8, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
  14. Apple 26.2 macrumors 6502a

    Apple 26.2

    Jan 1, 2011
    What up, 212?!
    School will be out in two months.

    Buy now. Enjoy now.
  15. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

    Jan 16, 2010
    #15 can get the school promo when it starts up in may
  16. mackage macrumors 6502

    Apr 6, 2011
    Does it really start that early?
  17. 2807 thread starter macrumors member

    Jan 9, 2011
    HA! Yes, school for me starts in early/mid June. Sheeeesh, you guys should be detectives. Good catch.

    And, went to Apple Store and learned I HAVE to buy online. No SSD MBP at the store. Bummer. It's not the same impulse buying on the web....

    Thanks folks
  18. mackage macrumors 6502

    Apr 6, 2011
    It's even better if you ask me. You may have to wait a little but you get what you want and are rewarded for waiting. The wait also adds to the suspense!!
  19. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020


    Jul 9, 2009
    FYI, cheaper and better ssd's are available after market and not from apple. They are easy to install and you could probably upgrade your ram to 8gb and get an ssd for LESS than the price apple will charge you for the ssd alone. Not to mention you will be able to get a much better performing one!

Share This Page