"Sort Artist" feature not correctly supported in iOS4?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by dperez398, Jul 3, 2010.

1. dperez398 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

So since I purchased my iPhone 4, I noticed that the "Sort Artist" feature in iTunes doesn't seem to be working properly in iOS4. Basically, while (as I understand it) the feature is intended to consolidate the desired artists (or albums, etc.) into a single place, what iOS4 is doing is gathering them up, but not consolidating them into the proper menu. Here are some screencaps to illustrate my point:

In iTunes:

[​IMG]

As you can see, while there are several different artists, they're all sorted and filed under Justice.

In iOS4:

[​IMG]

On my iPhone, everything under the artist category is sorted alphabetically and separately, negating the Sort Artist feature. For good measure, I also tested this using my iPod Nano (5G), which displayed everything correctly:

[​IMG]

And for the sake of stating the obvious, both devices are synced to the same library (shown in the first screencap), and all the files are identical, with matching sync settings. Unfortunately, I don't have a device running an earlier version of iOS to test, so I'm not sure if this issue is specific to iOS4, or is present throughout all versions of the software.

So I guess my question is, is there any way to enable the sorting feature on my iPhone, or am I stuck with a messy looking library? Maybe the better question is whether or not this even applies to anyone else; I'm incredibly anal, I know.

2. eternalrepublic macrumors newbie

I feel you. If I'm not mistaken, however, this has been a "bug" in the iOS music/iPod app since day one. This, as well as the way that iTunes and iOS handle music videos disparately has always driven me mad!

Wish I could offer a fix, but as far as I know there isn't one other than changing all of your artist fields and moving the real artist metadata into the comments field (a subpar solution, I know). Anybody else have an idea?