"Sort by Kind" is a mess

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by VTECaddict, Jul 22, 2011.

1. VTECaddict macrumors 6502

Sep 15, 2008
    Is there a way to sort by kind AND alphabetically? When I do sort by kind, it puts the files in some random order (or maybe its by date?)

Also, can the categories be changed or edited? Right now it seems to lump a lot of things into "documents" (dmg, iso, zip, rar, ...)

...or if not, is there a way to just restore the behavior it had in snow leopard? (arrange by file extension and alphabetically) :p
  2. westonm macrumors member

Jun 19, 2007
    I had the exact same issue. (It's actually ordering them by date last opened by default.)

You have to right-click and show view options (or select it out of the view menu). Therein will be a secondary sort selector, with name as an option.

As far as I know you can't edit the categories at all.
  3. VTECaddict thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 15, 2008
    ahh, good call. didn't see the secondary sort on first glance.

i switched to sorting by application instead of by kind. it seems to separate different kinds of files better...
  4. parish macrumors 65816

Apr 14, 2009
    Wilts., UK
    And it still won't sort with all the folders at the top :mad:
  5. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

Sep 13, 2006
    what the hell is going on? I shoot on my canon in both jpeg and raw, and it snow leopard sort by kind would separate them into groups, which made organizing my files a breeze. Now, jpeg and raw ore lumped together and all mixed up.

Is there any solution to this??
  6. rorschach macrumors 68020

Jul 27, 2003