Sort directories on external hard drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Mightypog, May 18, 2013.

1. Mightypog macrumors newbie

I had a 250G hard drive that I used with an old Macbook using Time Machine. I got a new Macbook, and I wasn't able to access the data on the 250G hard drive, a permissions issue. I took it to a data recovery guy, and he transfered all the data on the 250G drive onto a new 1Tb drive, There were, oddly enough, 350G on that 250G hard drive. As I in no way had that much actual data on there, I assume Time Machine endlessly replicated my files.
    When I open the new drive and look at the recovered data, i find it is all in directory folders. I've attached a screen shot.
    There are a bazillion of these folders, and I have no idea what to do with them all, or what they even are.
    My question is, how do I extract all the .jpg and .rtf and .txt files, eliminate the duplicates, and discard the rest?

Attached Files:

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

if you open the drive, then in the search bar, hit a space. That will then bring up more search options.
    hit the plus to the right of the window. and make it say "Kind is documents" will bring up everything but the folders.

this may take some time for finder to go through all the folders.

if you open another finder window to the base level of your external, you can then drag all the files to there. (since it's on the same drive, it should just move them to the new location fairly quickly) if you wanted to leave the folders as they are, you can select all the file (cmd-a) then copy and paste them where you want them (this will take more time though).
    you may run into issues if you have multiple copies of the same file.

you can also type ".pdf" into search to get all the acrobat files, or whatever file extension you want.