Sort Finder in One Place Only

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Chase817, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Chase817 macrumors member

Chase817

Hey guys, I'd like to be able to sort my downloads folder by Date, but have other places in the Finder sorted by Name. Is there any way to do this?

2. mac2x macrumors 65816

3. Gregg2 macrumors 603

A folder will use the same View, and be sorted in the same manner as the enclosing folder, unless you change it. Be sure that "always open in _____ View" is not checked in Show View Options, or your changes will be lost.

4. pit29 macrumors 6502a

pit29

I think that's not quite correct. You'll want to highlight your download folder, and then press Command-J. Here you can set how this folder appears. Make it sorted by date. And then you actually want to check the "Always..." option.

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Sorry that wasn't so clear. I'll clarify:
    If a folder has "Always open in ____ View" checked, then the enclosed folders will also. If you want one of the enclosed folders to be viewed differently, you can change it in Show View Options, or from the contextual menu. But, if you don't uncheck that "Always" button, your change will be lost when that folder is closed.

You can make all sorts of changes to the enclosed folder, and the "Always" box, if it's following the lead of the enclosing folder, will not change. In other words, if it's set to "Always open in Icon View" and you change the view with the toolbar button to be List, or the Arrange By setting below, it will still say "Always open in Icon View". If you uncheck it, it will then say "Always open in List View", and if that's what you want, recheck it.