Sort order of multiple sender mail addresses

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by marndt, Sep 20, 2012.

1. marndt macrumors member

marndt

Hi!

I've set up an IMAP mail account with multiple addresses, separated by commas. This way I can select the appropriate sender address when composing a new mail, which works fine.

Prior iOS 6 these addresses were sorted in their input order: I entered my main address first in Mail's preferences, and this address was used by default when composing a new mail.

With iOS 6 a different address is used by default, unfortunately I couldn't figure out by which algorithm: It's not the first / last neither by alphabet, domain name, input order ... nor anything else I could identify. Unfortunately the default address is one I seldom use, so I need to select a different one for every single mail I compose.

Is someone facing the same issue? Any ideas how to make Mail use a specific sender address by default?

Mattes

2. Bishwasher macrumors regular

Settings

Mail, Contacts, Calendars

Default Account

Then you just select the account you want Mail to use by default.

Hth :)

3. marndt thread starter macrumors member

marndt

Thanks, but I was not talking about accounts, but about addresses: I've got only a single (IMAP) account, but I'm sending mails with several sender addresses...

Mattes

4. Seahorse macrumors newbie

Yes, I'm having the same problem and haven't identified a solution. Came here hoping to find one!

5. gago macrumors newbie

Same here. No idea, which algorithm Apple uses. I tried so many different versions until my thumbs hurt :D and did not get a solution.

6. marndt thread starter macrumors member

marndt

I filed a bug report at Apple, and its status was set to "duplicate", so yes, the issue known by Apple... HTH

7. Seahorse macrumors newbie

Work-around

On another forum somewhere I came across a work-around. If you capitalize the first letter of one email address, that will become the default.

It may not be pretty, but it does seem to work for me.

8. MrMacMack macrumors 6502a

Are you talking about when creating a new message you tap on the from line and choose from a drop down menu of different email addresses?

9. Seahorse macrumors newbie

Yes. And how to have your preferred email address at the top of that drop-down menu.

10. MrMacMack macrumors 6502a

Okay, so Bishwasher, above, explained how to do this already. And your answer to my question confirms this.

11. Seahorse macrumors newbie

Ah, you need to read the thread more carefully. Bishwasher's reply relates to different accounts. The thread relates to different addresses set up within one account (which you can do by separating them with commas in the 'Email' field of the email account settings).

If you read marndt's original post, and then marndt's reply to Bishwasher, you'll see exactly what the thread is about.

12. MrMacMack macrumors 6502a

Okay. If you don't mind, explain to me how that's done step by step.

13. Seahorse macrumors newbie

I assume you're asking how to set up multiple email addresses within one account.

On that basis, and assuming that you already have the account set up:

1. Open the Notes app, create a new note, type a comma, select it, and copy it to your clipboard. You're going to need to type commas shortly at a point where a comma isn't available from the virtual keyboard provided.
    2. Open the Settings app.
    3. Select 'Mail, Contacts, Calendars'.
    4. Select the account for which you want multiple sender addresses.
    5. Select the 'Account' line (for further settings).
    6. In the 'Email' field, insert the addresses separated by commas. For example, "apples@fruit.com, oranges@fruit.com, platypus@mammals.com" (without the quote-marks). Paste commas in as required.
    7. Follow the instructions here if there is an address that you want to appear at the top of the picking list when composing a new email but it doesn't appear at the top of the list.

14. MrMacMack macrumors 6502a

So this is basically a hack since there is the comma button doesn't show up on the keyboard. Neat trick, I like it. But what are the benefits setting up multiple email addresses under one account compared to just setting up multiple accounts?

15. Seahorse macrumors newbie

One benefit would be a single set of folders for that account within the Mail app.

I'm not sure whether it's possible to set up multiple accounts with the same account details (other than the multiple email addresses). But it would not be an efficient way of doing it.