Sorta turned off from iPhone now

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Clipse79, Sep 28, 2007.

1. Clipse79 macrumors regular

I had been waiting to see what happened with the update to see if the iPhone could take it or be bricked. It seems like the majority are not taking the update. What happens when Apple releases a update that has somethign that everyone just wants? If you can never take an update, what fun is a phone that is already outdated and will continue to be more and more. I await to see what hacker nation will do and restore my faith and hopefully I will have one soon!

2. Canuck4 macrumors 6502a

Canuck4

Why not just actually use it like its meant and go with AT&T.
    If you hack it every 3-4 months you'll have to worry about that or never update to any new features ever.

3. PDE macrumors 68020

I have an unlocked iphone and I feel pretty put off by Apple's approach to all this too. I think I've spent too much time around here, because the truth is the iphone, as it is, is really great. Sure, it will get better with time but judging from APple's latest update they are not in any hurry to provide more needed functionality. If the time comes when Apple is adding things that are truly useful and third party apps don't match them, I'll deal with that then.

But, yes, all of this is off-putting to me too and a little of the magic of the iphone experience has faded. Why don't I sign up with ATT? Because I can't roam with their crazily expensive foreign roaming, not to mention the very very vcery important drawback of roaming with a U.S. number: local people will not call you because it requires dialling abroad. Just can't do it.

Hope the hackers are up to this one!

4. oxeneers macrumors member

What new features? There is nothing beneficial at all. They still have a shoddy SMS app, and the Mail app is still a hunk of ****.

iTunes Wi-Fi Store? Might as well just download/buy at home?

5. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

Or even better, buy from the non-DRM Amazon.com service.

6. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

Amazon's library leaves a lot to be desired.

Not useless, but out of my first 5 searches, 4 were completely unavailable.

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Don't bet on them. Since Apple used a similar method on Mac OS X for Intel-based machines, there haven't been any new versions of it available for generic hardware.

I think it's only proper that Apple take care of their own interests. So many people bought the iPhone unaware. Has anything changed? It's still the same device. The only thing that's changed is the fantasy that it was going to somehow be everything anyone ever wanted.

If people actually acknowledge the truth instead of creating their own hype, they might get exactly what they want. There are a lot of happy iPhone customers living in reality.

8. mpuck972 macrumors 6502

mpuck972

The problem, is Apple markets itself as a company whose products are just that.

Don't pretend to make the best phone ever, then shove a product with half the options of a $49 phone down everyones throats and expect everyone to be happy. Then to top it off, they take every chance they can to wipe away what people develop to make the phone closer to what they want.

9. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

I know, it's terrible.

If only we weren't required to buy Apple products, it would be fair.

But since that law was passed where everyone had to buy an iPhone, I feel that these actions are really not right.

It's not like we have a choice to buy or not buy the product!

10. Canuck4 macrumors 6502a

Canuck4

They updated a few minor things and also improved on the stability on the phone.

11. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

I would like to say that Apple IS under an obligation to fix bugs. They have fixed some and they also added some very minor features since release.

However, I bought the iPhone for email as my number 1 priority. I got it because they said (Steve himself) that they offered Push Email via Yahoo Push Mail. I have been using it for that purpose with many problems.

After 3 months since release I feel that this should be fixed.

To those that think we should not complain, do you really feel that not fixing this is normal. Is this how Apple normally supports it's other products. If so, I am glad I am still a Windows User and have not switched to the MAC.

I know you are going to say that Microsoft does this too with some of their products. OK, agreed, but then you have to then amitt that Apple is not any better which I think you will find it hard to swallow.

12. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Do you know if this is a Yahoo problem at its core, or an iPhone one? Any other phones out there use Yahoo to push email? Just curious as to who is really dragging the experience down here.

13. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Yes, they're forcing people to buy them. You're obligated to buy them. :p

I wonder why I'm still using my Sprint Samsung with 3g data phone. I should have been awakened in the middle of the night and driven to the Apple store by rowdy Apple troops to commit my purchase.

Actually, it might have something to do with thinking a lot and realising the truth, rather than being an Apple cheerleader and being swept up in what something might be.

If you're reading marketing material as if it's always the truth, stop.

14. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

What majority? Of iPhones that have been modified? Or just any iPhone currently in use? And how are you gauging your idea of "majority?" From these forums? It's hardly an accurate picture of the entire iPhone-using population.

And they also updated something that had just weeks ago been the subject of quite a few angry threads-- EDGE int'l roaming being able to be switched off.

Or did the foaming-at-the-mouth mob already forget so quickly? That that was one of the biggest, most vocal complaints. And yet, now that Apple has come out with a solution to that issue-- the mob no longer cares, it seems. They've moved onto something else to get riled up about?

Yes. There is no such thing as a perfect phone.
    Yes. There is no way to please and satisfy every last consumer.

Inevitably, there will be some features that never see fruition. There will inevitably be some consumers who won't be satisfied with the outcome.

15. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

I have at times put equal blame on both.

Example:

1) I have seen OLD EMAILS (previous deleted) re-appear on Yahoo Web Interface. This is an obvious problem with Yahoo. Because of this the iPhone goes into a never ending "Checking for mail". The iPhone should be able to at least timeout or something. But it would nice if they could somehow handle it. I say Yahoo is most to blame but Apple has some.

2) I have seen that at times it does not work while on WiFi. Only on EDGE. Not sure who to blame this on.

3) and more and more .... I have made many posts on this subject here.

Bottom line. Apple and Yahoo should have been able to solve this over the last 3 months. I have seen postings all over the internet about this problem including direct communication with Apple and Yahoo. So, they must know about this problem. No excuse for not fixing it.

Not saying it should include all FEATURES of the Blackberry and Windows Moble. However, it should be able to Push Email reliably and reasonably fast (like within 1 min of arriving on server).

Too much to ask?

16. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

I'm still happy with my iPhone. I have not modded it yet (nor have I gone to 1.1.1), but it was exciting to see all the new things folks were doing. Kind of reminded me of the Altair days in the 1970s.

My only real beef is ringtones. I don't mind paying, but Apple doesn't make the songs I use available on iTunes. If I could send them $2 for each of them and get them back in a format of their choice so they'd stop breaking them every update, I'd be happy to. :p

17. Fuchal macrumors 68020

I have never seen Yahoo push email work reliably since I've gotten my iPhone, and neither Apple nor Yahoo have ever said anything about the problem.

18. Fuchal macrumors 68020

Actually, as much as I love and buy Apple products, this is exactly how Apple normally supports it's other products. :rolleyes:

19. flanetpa macrumors newbie

Apple pushing us away...

I'm 46 year old. Bought the iphone for its cool interface and its ease of use. I must say I still like the phone but am discouraged by what has taken place. I DON'T like music ringtones so I purchased Itoner, one, so I could use regular sounds on my Iphone and two to support the development of good software that does not hack the phone but enhances its usability. Yes I could use one of the provided ringtones that came with the phone but there are only a couple of usable tones in my humble opinion. I don't want a dog barking, a duck quacking, or a space ship landing. I want a choice of other phone ringtones. Apple, if you don't want me using 3rd party software than provide regular sounding tones on itunes and I and many other will buy them. Oh well, enough ranting. I hope some older guys in apple read this and help in making a change.

FLane

20. Clipse79 thread starter macrumors regular

I was speaking from the pure cannot UNLOCKER side of this. For those that CAN get the phone legal etc thus need not read. I guess I should be more turned off from Rogers Canada and Apple not having the phone here in Canada so I can buy it with no issues. But for those that have to unlock it or choose to its a difficult place to be. I do not want to buy the iphone and not be able to enjoy it to its full fuction update after update. But I guess I cannot complain really. I`m not supposed to have the phone to begin with. Its really sad in all ways. Actually is unlocking really that bad? If i`m in Canada and I will go to that measure to get a product does that not say something about the product? It means its worth going to extreme measures to get. I just really don`t want to miss out on a piece of beauty cause of it all

21. Cloudane macrumors 65816

Cloudane

I don't own or currently desire an iPhone, but after what I've been reading about the latest update being confirmed as bricking unlocked ones (and if you believe for a second Schiller's line about it not being intentional you're even more naive than me which is saying something) I'm put off by Apple altogether.

I know unlocking is against the agreement and all that, but what about the collateral damage to innocent users it's incorrectly identified, or those who bought them off eBay not knowing the legal position? This is an extremely scummy move by Apple. And I used to think Microsoft were evil, but Apple are almost on par with the RIAA here...

If it just re-locks them then fair enough. I see nothing wrong with that. But bricking is just not on.

22. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It's like so many other things that aren't available in a certain location. Apple can't seem to make a deal with wireless network providers everywhere at this point. It's like the iTunes store being available in many countries. Apple have to make agreements and they're frequently precarious. They always affect consumers.

Maybe, sometime in 2008, Canada and other countries will have the phone and it'll be even more capable.