Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shmeffrey

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
Toronto Canada
Hi I have an Apple TV 2 and I have a ton of TV shows on my computers to stream to the ATV2 but when displaying 'by show' it displays by 'show and season', so I have to scroll through multiple seasons to get to another show. This is very inefficient. I would rather have 3 menus 'Show' > 'Season' > 'Episode'.

Is there any way to manipulate the metadata so that they sort better and its easier to scroll to another show?

Anyone else find this frustrating?

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
Hi I have an Apple TV 2 and I have a ton of TV shows on my computers to stream to the ATV2 but when displaying 'by show' it displays by 'show and season', so I have to scroll through multiple seasons to get to another show. This is very inefficient. I would rather have 3 menus 'Show' > 'Season' > 'Episode'.

Is there any way to manipulate the metadata so that they sort better and its easier to scroll to another show?

Anyone else find this frustrating?

I haven't tried this, but...

Change the "Show Name" to "Season X", and the "Show Sort" to the show's name. That way, ATV should display each season as an individual item, with just that season's shows in the sub-menus. By changing the "Show Sort" to the show's name, it will place those seasons in acending number order and in the correct alphabetical slot in the main menu - you can use the cover art to tell which show it is (as the name won't be displayed).

Not perfect, but it might work.

PS: Unless you are hell-bent of having these tags written to the file, you can do this in batches under iTunes. Just select a whole season, right/command-click on the selected entries, and "Get Info". You will then be able to change the show name, show sort and, if necessary, artwork for all episodes at once, without affecting any of the individual episode tags.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.