Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KetchupRob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2016
Edited because I am a moron.

It is simple to sort with folders at the top, Finder/Preferences and its right there.

Sorry.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Not really, I think there may be some sort of hack to do so but overall, sorting by kind puts the folders in the middle, unlike in Windows, it puts then to the top

KetchupRob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2016
upload_2016-9-1_12-9-3.png

OldGreyGuy

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2014
Near Brisbane, Australia
Yes, it is the only real problem I have with El Capitan, I used to run a 3rd party utility to do this and when I moved to El Capitan it no longer worked. Glad to see that this is being addressed.

I know people will always say, it is the default, get used to it, well daily I work with a number of operating systems including Windows, Linux (many different versions), Solaris plus a couple of legacy environments and for all of these systems they can default to this pattern, for me consistency is more important than just adapting for one platform.

KetchupRob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2016
Yes, it is the only real problem I have with El Capitan, I used to run a 3rd party utility to do this and when I moved to El Capitan it no longer worked. Glad to see that this is being addressed.

I know people will always say, it is the default, get used to it, well daily I work with a number of operating systems including Windows, Linux (many different versions), Solaris plus a couple of legacy environments and for all of these systems they can default to this pattern, for me consistency is more important than just adapting for one platform.
Agreed. I only started using Mac OS X back in 2014, so I am pretty new to it still, but there are a few things that piss me off, like the sorting of files and folders in Finder, or cut/copy and paste which should be a simple feature, or switching between windows, the alt tab and alt ~ is fine, but it makes it hard to get things done when working with several spreadsheets or application windows. So it is a pain sometimes.

The bonus is the loading time of apps and just the general stability.

mrjohnsly

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2010
Agreed. I only started using Mac OS X back in 2014, so I am pretty new to it still, but there are a few things that piss me off, like the sorting of files and folders in Finder, or cut/copy and paste which should be a simple feature, or switching between windows, the alt tab and alt ~ is fine, but it makes it hard to get things done when working with several spreadsheets or application windows. So it is a pain sometimes.

The bonus is the loading time of apps and just the general stability.

You can cut and paste on a Mac, you just need to use a different key combination when you paste.

Copy and Paste
Command + C → Command + V

Cut and Paste
Command + C → Alt + Command + V

KetchupRob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2016
You can cut and paste on a Mac, you just need to use a different key combination when you paste.

Copy and Paste
Command + C → Command + V

Cut and Paste
Command + C → Alt + Command + V
Thanks, I already know that, I just mean that if you can't copy and paste a file from Finder into an email as an attachment, and very often copy and paste doesn't work properly in excel. Although I realise these may be more MS issues than Mac

Reactions: mrjohnsly

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Thanks, I already know that, I just mean that if you can't copy and paste a file from Finder into an email as an attachment, and very often copy and paste doesn't work properly in excel. Although I realise these may be more MS issues than Mac

Why bother hitting key commands... just drag the file from the Finder into the email window (or onto the Mail icon in the dock if you want to create a new email).

KetchupRob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2016
Why bother hitting key commands... just drag the file from the Finder into the email window (or onto the Mail icon in the dock if you want to create a new email).
Its quicker to use the keyboard shortcuts than dragging and dropping. Although, I will have to give the drag to mail one a try. I know you can drag into the email window, but will check out dragging to the mail icon in the taskbar.

SaxPlayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Dorset, England
Its quicker to use the keyboard shortcuts than dragging and dropping. Although, I will have to give the drag to mail one a try. I know you can drag into the email window, but will check out dragging to the mail icon in the taskbar.

If you don't want to drag and drop, then an alternative is to right click the item you want to email and then choose "Mail" from the share menu.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.