sorting in iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by michaelhigh, Apr 25, 2011.

1. michaelhigh macrumors newbie

michaelhigh

I'm not sure if I'm in the right forum, but if I'm supposed to be somewhere else, please move me, mods. My question is about sorting in iTunes. Is is possible to sort by song length? It's virtually impossible to get a yes or no answer to this question. Anyone?:confused:

2. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Yes. Just go into list view and click on the 'Time' column header.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (Click for biggeh)

3. michaelhigh thread starter macrumors newbie

michaelhigh

I tried that. Does that work for you? I'm asking because it doesn't work for me. If it works for you then I did/am doing something wrong.

4. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Look at my screenshots. It works perfectly well for me. Using the latest version of iTunes 10.

5. michaelhigh thread starter macrumors newbie

michaelhigh

I can sort by time in Music, but not in Podcasts, which is all I have in my iTunes player. Is there a way to set "sort by time" in Podcasts? :confused:

6. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

[​IMG]
    Exactly the same way as Music.

7. michaelhigh, Apr 26, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2011

michaelhigh thread starter macrumors newbie

michaelhigh

I try different View options, "as grid view" (mine doesn't look the same as yours) as you have selected and still no luck. I noticed your screen says "all podcasts". Maybe that's my problem. Everything else is identical except for being able to sort by time. I appreciate your time, I should break through any time now! Stay with me and make sure I'm not neglecting to do something, I'm kinda new to iTunes and it confuses me sometimes. I've tried everything possible, clicking on anything that doesn't gray out. Could this type of sorting come with a paid version? I'm on a free version if that matters. Thanks again. :eek:

8. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

There is no paid version of iTunes... it is totally free. Try this...

[​IMG]
    (Right Click)

9. michaelhigh, Apr 27, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2011

michaelhigh thread starter macrumors newbie

michaelhigh

I have Description selected. I have Time selected. What should I rightclick as per your suggestion? I stll have discrepancies, such as I don't have "all podcasts" on my screen, my views are different from yours as I switch around to try to match your screen views, and I can't figure out how to activate the sort on anything but release date. I do have iTunes 10.
    Is there a way to activate sort on a particular header item? Anyone? Thanks in advance, everyone!
    I got it! I had to go into New Smart Playlist and set up a shuffle. Enough poking around, in this case days' worth, can solve anything. Now we can achieve world peace.