Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Redboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2003
I get a lot of new music. I get a lot from emusic, which I tend to download an album at a time. I usually want to view my iTunes Library by album by reverse order added (newest album 1st). I'd love a way to see my library grouped by albums in in their appropriate track order (1-x) with the newest albums highest on my list. The closest I can get is the obvious - simply reverse Date Added, but the albums won't show up in any listenable order, and if I add more than one album at a time the albums get mixed together.

Has anyone figured out a good way to do this? My library is up to 21,000 songs (on the button, actually) and it can be a little overwhelming at times.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
In iTunes 7 I get exactly the behaviour you want by clicking on date added in album view. it collects all the albums in track order and then displays them by order added.

EDIT: I must have been looking at a section of my library which albums were added in reverse track order. It doesn't work. Sorry for the confusion.

B

GraemeTunes

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2011
"I get a lot of new music. I get a lot from emusic, which I tend to download an album at a time. I usually want to view my iTunes Library by album by reverse order added (newest album 1st). I'd love a way to see my library grouped by albums in in their appropriate track order (1-x) with the newest albums highest on my list. The closest I can get is the obvious - simply reverse Date Added, but the albums won't show up in any listenable order, and if I add more than one album at a time the albums get mixed together."

This thread is pretty old, but iTunes still has this problem so I'm following it up for the original author and anyone who finds this in Google.

I wrote a proggy that lets you add music to iTunes in such a way that when you sort by date added, you also get it sorted by album and track order. May be helpful for you. Freeware & open source, mac and windows.

Download here: http://graemebell.net/tools/software/add-my-tunes

quasinormal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Sydney, Australia.
I wrote a proggy that lets you add music to iTunes in such a way that when you sort by date added, you also get it sorted by album and track order. May be helpful for you. Freeware & open source, mac and windows.

Download here: http://graemebell.net/tools/software/add-my-tunes

I installed Lion and a new 1TB Samsung drive in a 2011 15" MBP yesterday and am now reimporting the Apple lossless iTunes library using this program from a FW800 2.5" GoFlex drive.

This software works really well. It has been running for 16 hours now and has imported 13,000 songs sized at 310GB. From looking at Activity Monitor, it seems to do all the work, leaving iTunes idle and able to be used browsing and playing music.

My only concern is a suspicion the software may be deleting the source HD as the tunes are added.There are another 600GB +25,000 songs to go. I'll post back in 2 days to confirm everything is OK.

Thank you very much Graeme for this great software. It is exactly what I've needed for years. If you need any contributions, post here with a link on your site and I'd be more than happy to donate.

Last edited:

GraemeTunes

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2011
This software works really well. It has been running for 16 hours now and has imported 13,000 songs sized at 310GB. From looking at Activity Monitor, it seems to do all the work, leaving iTunes idle and able to be used browsing and playing music.

Thank you very much Graeme for this great software. It is exactly what I've needed for years. If you need any contributions, post here with a link on your site and I'd be more than happy to donate.

If you want to treat me to a cup of coffee or put a couple of dollars towards my hosting costs, that would be nice :) This is freeware though, not donationware, so there's no obligation :)

I've made some other free software for MacOS, there's a donate page on the website for 'MindSnow'.

http://graemebell.net/software/

http://mindsnow.com/donate/

But first, please wait and make sure the software moved everything correctly for you. There's no reason why you should have a problem, but I haven't tested it on such a large library. If there are problems, it is more likely to be iTunes than this simple bit of code.

The software 'moves' rather than 'copies', so that if something interrupts it, it can pick up from where it left off quite easily without confusing the ordering.

I'm thinking of adding in 'copy/move' as an option whenever I next look at the program. However, I don't want to make things too complicated. If anyone has any other suggestions, please mail them through.

Thanks for the feedback and best regards

Graeme

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.