Sorting Music Files on macbookpro

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by crazykswiss, Aug 12, 2011.

1. crazykswiss macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

I have been downloading a lot of music on my new macbook pro. Some where around 20,000 songs but the problem is they have no folders with name or anything just the name of the artist and the song.

I would like to find a program that could take all of my music and organize it by album, name, and song rather then one great big folder that is called "frostwire" with 20,000 mess matched songs.

Can anyone please suggest a software that can fix my problem so i dont have to do it myself. Thank you so much!!!

2. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

So assuming that you downloaded all of this LEGALLY, you should be using iTunes to take care of your music. Depending on where you got your music files you may have to add in information about the artist, album, etc into iTunes so that it can sort things properly. It creates a folder heirarchy like what you are talking about.

3. crazykswiss thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, umm that didn't work for me. I think I made it more unclear then I meant to as Im pretty sure I asked the wrong question.

I have 15678 songs in my iTunes library but the problem is 900songs are from CDs that I don't own they are a friends and the rest is downloaded. For starters I can't find any folder or where iTunes stored the 900 ripped songs. Then the rest are downloaded. And stored on a 500gb harddrive. So I'm trying to orangize this harddrive to convert to another even though I still have that many songs in my library.

What I'm looking to do is take all the songs that relate to one artist and put them in a folder and then start going by album. The reason I'm doing this is because I not only want all my music organized so it's not in one big jumbo folder but also because it's going on a western digital 1tb harddrive. So my computer is not long full of music. And the transfer the drives.

So I'm really looking for a software that can do this so I don't have to go through all the work but I can't find a easier way :(

4. johto macrumors 6502

johto

You have done it wrong from the start. You should have inputted/included the right metadata right from the start when you put those songs inside your itunes(and let the itunes handle the file location).

I only drag/import one album at time to itunes and making sure these songs either already have right metadata or i will add them freshly inside in itunes(album,song names,track number,album art etc).

You should really learn how to use itunes for handling your songs, but then again, it really needs that all your files are tagged right from the start right ...good luck.