Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

motown2go

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2009
So here is the issue. At work I receive various medical records for clients. It would be helpful to take a stack of medical records from a specific doctor, scan them into PDF's, and then tag each page of the stack with the name of the provider and date of service. Then, as additional records come in from various providers, and I repeat the process, I would hope to have the ability to combine all the records if need be sort the entire set of records by date, or if I choose to have them sort by provider. I know it would require some manual tagging but overall I think would save a great deal of time.

The problem is, I cant find a single program that will enable me to do this. I'm looking to have the ability to quickly rearrange the pages of a pdf file based on tags or labels that I add. Anyone know if such a program exists?

ddoonie

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2008
This program will solve most of your needs, I believe, BUT not sure about the tagging of individual pages within a PDF. Not sure if anything can do that.. Maybe better off using each page as its own pdf?

http://tr.im/mUFW

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Believe it or not, iTunes (on the Mac at least) will let you add PDFs to your library. You can then rank and add comments, make 'playlists' for them... and when you double-click on them, the file opens up.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Believe it or not, iTunes (on the Mac at least) will let you add PDFs to your library. You can then rank and add comments, make 'playlists' for them... and when you double-click on them, the file opens up.

Learn something new every day!
Thanks for that BV!

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

motown2go

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2009
Sorting PDF documents

This is all helpful, but still not quite functional. What I wonder about, is if there is an ability to organize pages within a pdf similar to the way files are organized in iPhoto, Aperture, or even Mail. In the applications the user can tag each file with a specific entry and then sort, organize, group, or order all tagged files based on their entry.
While the information people responded with is helpful for organizing complete pdf files, it lacks the ability to reorganize or reorder pdf pages based on a tags.
Anyone know if this is possible with any 3rd part app or even automator script?
Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.