sorting phone contacts by first name

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ghanwani, Jan 9, 2009.

1. ghanwani macrumors 6502a

When I purchased my phone, the contacts were copied
    over from my previous phone's SIM card. However, the
    contacts are sorted by last name.

How do I sort them by first name?

Thanks.

2. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Settings. Mail, Contacts, Calendars. Sort Order.

3. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Contacts Section: Sort Order and Display Order

4. ghanwani thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks...you folks are quick!

5. prasunshah macrumors newbie

sort by first name in phone app

How can I sort the contacts in the phone app (the green phone app) not the contacts (brown app)

6. CSMchris376 macrumors regular

They are the same. There is only one contact database. You just have the option of accessing it from those two different places. You would still choose the sort and display order from the settings area described in the other posts.

7. prasunshah macrumors newbie

sorting phone app by first name

but when I hit the green phone app to call someone it is sorted by last name and my settings (settings, mail, contacts, general/ sort order is first, last for both (sort order and display) - is there a glitch on my phone? (3g)

8. CSMchris376 macrumors regular

I would try and reboot the phone. Hold the sleep/wake button and the home button together until you see the Apple logo and then release. See what that does. I'm going to try and change my sort and display order on my phone after I finish this and let you know. I'm using a 3G with 4.0.1

EDIT: I just changed my sort order from last, first to first, last and the display order I've always had is first, last. When I did that and went into the contact app and then into the phone app and touched contacts, they are sorted and displayed by first name. I normally have it sorted by last name and displayed by first name and is looks the same in both locations. See if that reboot helps. I didn't have to reboot my phone at all, it just changed.

9. prasunshah macrumors newbie

sorting phone contacts by first name

You da Man!! It worked - i have tried to reboot all week and it never worked - it did now.
    BTW - I upgraded my 3gto 4.0 and found it to be too slow and downgraded back to 3 and am happy. I am waiting for some of the bugs in 4 to be cleared before upgarding

thanks for your quick responses - really appreciated