Sorting Soundtrack and Compilation albums in iTunes 7

luckylisp

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 2, 2006
NY state
Since installing iTunes 7, all of my Various Artists Soundtrack albums are now all broken up. For instance, 5 songs might be grouped together, and then another 4 songs grouped together elsewhere, even though all of them are labeled the same. Any idea on the proper way to label them to keep them all together? :confused:

luckylisp

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 2, 2006
NY state
For instance, for the Leonard Cohen I'm Your Man various artists soundtrack. I have name, artist, and album sections all filled in. (artist and name of song will vary, album title is the same for all)

Genre is soundtrack and I have it checked as a compilation. Some of the songs will stay together, but many others won't. Should I be labeling this differently?

Graeme

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2005
Delta, BC
I noticed that too. I found that some had different Composers and those were the ones that were seperated. Also the Album Artist separated some them as well if that was different across different songs.

-Graeme

luckylisp

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 2, 2006
NY state
MacNut said:
Easy solution. use the album artist tag and put "various artists"
Thanks for the suggestion, but I tried that, and it's not working. I have 5 tracks on the Leonard Cohen album labeled that way and they are all strewn about separately...

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
luckylisp said:
Thanks for the suggestion, but I tried that, and it's not working. I have 5 tracks on the Leonard Cohen album labeled that way and they are all strewn about separately...
what is different in each label, something has to be changed in the tags to re categorize.

luckylisp

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 2, 2006
NY state
Should I be only using Various artists under artist album and removing the name of the artist and leaving that part blank? Before I had all three filled in (name, artist, artist album) I'll try that.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Artist name doesn't matter as long as the album title is the same. You might have to play around with the settings.

crees!

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
I have the same issue. Say for the Garden State Soundtrack when viewing in CoverFlow I see multiple covers appear though it's grouped as a compilation.

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
I have a few albums that consist of some tracks ripped from a greatest hits CD with the rest purchased in iTMS. iTunes 7 places the iTMS ones together, overriding track order. This worked fine in iTunes 6.

(edit: OK, setting Album Artist = Artist fixes this)

Mikestan

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2008
Sorting soundtracks and Compilation albums

After spending a day trying to figure out how to get my soundtrack cds to display all artists on album view together I finally figured it out.

Preferences> General> click "Group Compilation when browsing"

Then right click on the song > Get Info.

Make sure under the info tab all the info is the same besides the Artist.

Then proceed to the Sorting tab
Get Info> Sorting

Under "Sort Artist" make sure you type "Various Artists"

Then proceed to the Options tab
Get Info> Options

Make sure you check "Part of Gapless Album" for all songs.

Repeat these steps for all the songs that you want on the same CD

Enjoy!