SOS help please. Macbook Pro won't turn on. Blinking Light

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by antonisalb, Jan 1, 2010.

1. antonisalb macrumors newbie

Hello to everyone this is my first post here and sadly its about a problem with my macbook pro.
    The notebook in question is a 17'' Macbook Pro I bought in September 2008.
    I simply closed it (without turning it off, just let it go on sleep) and took it with me as usual and when I tried turning it on again, it would not turn on.

I press the power button and I hear the hard drive/superdrive (not sure which of the two) start up and I see the sleep light turn on but after a few seconds its turns off again. If I hold the power button down for a few seconds the sleep light starts blinking and then the notebook turns off once more. In all cases the screen is black.

I tried everything here http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1365 and tried removing and re-installing the RAM and nothing changed.
    Short of trying to re-install the RAM again I have no idea what to do. I won't be able to visit a Genius until after the 5th so any ideas/suggestions?

2. m85476585 macrumors 65816

3. sharkync macrumors regular

Are you sure your charger is working correctly - i.e. there is nothing wrong with the male mag safe connector. Try checking the pin outs with a volt ohm meter (if available). Try someone else's ac adaptor.

4. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

Do the batteries have a charge? If not, try plugging it in.

5. Jerr0328 macrumors newbie

I have the exact same problem. I put my Early 2008 15" MBP to sleep New Year's Eve, and when I tried waking it up on New Year's day it wouldn't respond. Exactly like described here. I'm trying with the original RAM (I had upgraded the RAM over a year ago) and still getting it. I'm trying one stick at a time in each port but it's not working either, and I doubt all 4 sticks of RAM I have are bad. I have an appointment for the Genius Bar tomorrow (1/2) which I had scheduled last week luckily due to another issue (noisy fan), and will let you know what they suggest. Anyone else have this issue?

Edit: And there is no problem with the battery. It's rather new (replaced it not too long ago) and has a full charge. Tried it on battery, plugged in, and plugged in without battery. No difference between any of that so I doubt it has something to do with the charge.

6. fluffyx macrumors 6502

Sounds like you'll need a repair. Hopefully your local Apple Store will be able to help when you can make it in.

7. antonisalb thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry to hear that Jerr, please do let me know how it goes.

DNH, SHNYC: Interestingly with mine when I remove the battery and plug the charger in and then press the power button it does not respond at all, not even a sound or blinking light like with the battery. Battery is fully charged btw and the charger had been working fine. I'll try with another charger but I don't know if it will help.

I don't think an external monitor would do the job because its not just the screen that isn't responding its the whole thing that goes quiet after a few seconds

8. Jerr0328 macrumors newbie

Brought in my MBP to the Apple Store today and they took it in for repair. I should know more later in the week, but it seems like there's no other option but to bring it in for repair...