SOS! Mac keeps shutting down

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Littleboo, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Littleboo macrumors regular

all of a sudden today my computer shuts off. It's when I leave, I come back and it's off. I have no idea what is wrong and NO clue how to trouble shoot this!

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. windywoo macrumors 6502a

windywoo

4. Littleboo thread starter macrumors regular

It's OFF! I tried to wake it up but nothing. I have to go to the button and put back on. It was hot today, but it has been hot the last few days. I have air and a fan. I'm not saying it isn't the heat, just not sure why today of all days.

5. Littleboo thread starter macrumors regular

It went off late at night as well, when it wasn't warm one bit. it runs just fine as long as there as activity, but about 30-45 minutes of inactivity and it's off.

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

What are your power saver settings?

It really sounds like it is sleeping.

7. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

yeah it could just be hibernating and needs the power button to start back up, or it could be a more serious issue.

Maybe it is suddenly getting too hot, and as a result shutting itself down before it is destroyed by heat.

Maybe it's something else. Do you have any new things attached to it? I once had a Maxtor 300GB External hard drive connected to mine, and when I deleted it's syncing software off the mac -- the mac would just shut down on me randomly.

I pinpointed the cause was the External HDD, it was dismounting itself from finder at random, and when it randomly cuts out like that, the computer crashed. I re-installed the software on the mac, and it worked find afterwards.

edit: the power button to turn it on, does it reboot completely? Or does it instantly bring you to the login screen which then brings you to the desktop?

Or does it do the chime, with the grey screen, load, bring up the login screen, and re-load the dock, programs & such?

The first one indicated it was hibernating, and returned to normal, the second one with the chime and a complete boot means it was actually powered off.

8. Littleboo thread starter macrumors regular

It's for sure off. When I hit the power button it does the chime, with the grey screen, load, bring up the login screen, and re-load the dock, programs & such.

I did recently install a time machine scheduler. Although I could not get it to work. I was tired of time machine slowing down my computer.

Today it shut off as I was working on it. That is awful!

I will try and unistall the scheduler and see if that is it. Any other help is appreciated!

9. iAlexG macrumors 6502

iAlexG

System Preferences --> Energy Saver --> Just have a look

10. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

Also take a lok at the Console for the logs. Check the entries that are near the time when the mac shut off. Eventually copy and paste them here.

11. Littleboo thread starter macrumors regular

12. Littleboo thread starter macrumors regular

13. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

The Console app is in Applications/Utility.

14. Littleboo thread starter macrumors regular

what would I have set wrong in energy saver? I think that might be it.

15. TIFFADEE macrumors member

help me too please

This is so long after the last post on this thread but, I was reading this and maybe you can help me with my problem too...my old MAC G4 quicksilver 867mhz just started doing this the other day. i did what you told littleboo to do and the energy saver settings are fine i went into the console and found this the last time it happened...
    2009-07-05 22:03:30.523 HPEventHandler[149]: DebugAssert: Third Party Client: isReady Can't establish connection with the device[/Volumes/Development/HP/Mac-Sirani/mac-software/components/Common/CommonUtils/Sources/CIAUtilities.cpp:82]
    Debugger() was called!

right before the computer shut down, the startup light on the monitor got brighter and then the screen went black and it shut down. i hooked up a wireless router yesterday and i suppose that could be the problem.
    thanks for any help.
    Patti

16. Littleboo thread starter macrumors regular

I think I am going to have to bring it in. It is still happening. I added Ram a few days before this started, not sure if that has something to do with it.

17. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

18. Littleboo thread starter macrumors regular

I did open Console log but it's Greek to me! Not sure what to do with it. Any tips is appreciated.

19. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

There should be a panel on the left (if not you can open it with one of the buttons).
    The select "All messages". On the right take a look at the timestamps and try to find the moment when the mac shuts down. You can copy some of the entries before and after that time and paste them here.
    Maybe we will be able to see what is happening.

20. Littleboo thread starter macrumors regular

I brought it in. Seems that when I put the ram in that I did not close the computer properly. that was, hopefully, it.