SOS-unable to startup!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nbusse, Jul 15, 2007.

1. nbusse macrumors member

nbusse

More details in my 'partitioning startup disk' posting, but suffice to say I am screwed right now....:eek:

A re-install OS operation gone horribly wrong, it crashed & now I can't boot up, it refuses the install disks (I tried power + C key with both 10.3.3 & 10.4.6 -- don't think I have any earlier versions than that) Simply spits them out...

Anything in firmware to help me out?
    (don't know anything about firmware except that it exists)

do i need any additional disks besides the installs?

I have an external firewire drive w/ OS9, which will boot up but it doesn't even SEE the main iMac at all.......
    HELP.

2. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

Hold down :apple:-Option O - F when booting (Before the grey screen)
    Type reset-all

See if you can boot to the install disks after that.

3. nbusse thread starter macrumors member

nbusse

thank you for the advice!!
    In firmware, I was able to force eject to stick the install disk in, then typed 'reset-all'. It did allow me to restart from the disk! yay!

Not finished w/ the re-install yet (I decided to stick with the reliable 10.3.3 version) --I'll let you know if it's successful!

4. nbusse thread starter macrumors member

nbusse

not successful:(

tried twice so far, failure.
    Booting from the instal disk (10.3.3) it starts up normally for an install - checks the main drive then quits - tells me there was an error in installing software. Makes you restart computer, at which point it restarts, spits out the disk & there's the grey screen w/ a little globe icon on it (what's that mean?)
    Then I can force it to restart from the install disk again, but the pattern repeats itself.

grrrr...how much time this wastes......

5. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

Are you able to access Disk Utility from the Utilities menu in the installer? You might be able to verify/repair your hard drive from there... just a thought

6. nbusse thread starter macrumors member

nbusse

Great news, I'm actually typing this on the formerly-dead computer!
    I did go to disk utility, did a verify & repair on the drive (altho it said it was fine, which I didn't believe) - also did a total erase of the drive before doing the install of OS 10.3.3.
    My next quandry is whether to go on to the 10.4.6 upgrade... I might just quit while I'm ahead...
    You don't happen to know anything about M-audio, do you? It was the incompatibility of 10.4 with a firewire product that started this whole mess.

Anyways, thanks for the advice so far!