"Sound" Advice

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by TomT321, Oct 30, 2009.

1. TomT321 macrumors member

When I bought my Mac MINI the monitor I purchased had built in speakers but the volume was very low and even though I have all of the volume slides almost in their max position I could barely hear anything with sound. So I ordered a set of plug and play speakers that have a usb plug as well as a direct plug to the back of the computer. Again all of the slides are at the max position and the lights are on on the speakers so it appears that they are getting power but alas the sound level is exactly the same as before. Any ideas?

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

What does the level look like under  -> System Preferences -> Sound -> Output?

3. TomT321 thread starter macrumors member

Internal only

It only shows internal speakers and when I clicked on the help icon it showed that other options should have appeared and nothing else does. In other words the speakers do not seem to be recognized by my computer.

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

In other words, the sound is quiet because it has been coming out of your Mini all along.

Do the USB speakers specifically say they support OS X?

5. TomT321 thread starter macrumors member

Yes

When I bought them off E-bay it did specially say for a PC or Mac OS X but I think you are right I am only getting sound out of the Mini itself. I even tried plugging the speakers into the jack on the monitor and no difference there either.

6. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

Is there even coming a signal from the mini jack output? Try it by plugin in your (ipod) headphones into the mac mini and see if there's sound.

7. TomT321 thread starter macrumors member

Hard ware problem

One and All,

I got ahold of Apple this morning and after running through several checks with the Apple Tech it became apparent that the problem was in the computer more than likely a bad audio jack or possibly a problem with the logic board. Have to wait until Monday before a tech at my local Apple store can look at it, but hoping that they will opt to replace it as only 8 days after I bought it they came out with the next generation models. We shall see what we shall see. Thanks for the input(s).