Sound all choppy and broken - problem with tape or my capture settings?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by portena, Apr 28, 2008.

1. portena macrumors member

Hello,

I am capturing dozens of old miniDV tapes (old as in about a year old, viewed/played through maybe once or twice, brand TDK and Sony - mainly) and I keep getting a recurring problem very near to the start of each tape (though that part could just be coincidence?) where the audio breaks up. The tapes were recorded on a Sony TRV22E in Long Play mode (yes, I've been learning since joining this forum that many of my former habits were not terribly good!). Its possible the camera heads were dirty, but at the time of capture there were no issues with audio (I have a copy of the particular clip in question that I captured immediately after filming it (to youtube it) and that one is fine) so whatever has gone wrong has occurred AFTER it was recorded.

I have tried importing the faulty tapes with FCE - it doesn't want a bar of it - the audio problem is causing skipped timecodes which FCE insists on backing up to at enormous time expense. Imovie will import it as is, but it sounds terrible (what you hear is, for example, kid yelling - 1 sec silence - yell - 1sec silence, yell (I would describe the overall effect as like someone pressing the mute button on and off very quickly).

I am playing back/capturing via a brand new camcorder, and it too notices the broken audio even when playing back independently of any capture software. Large parts of the same tape however remain unaffected.

Could the problem be to do with my settings (in which case I may be able to fix?), or is it more likely something to do with the tape/s quality/nature of care (they've been in and out of humid environments (eek, if only I knew how badly I was treating them before!)?. If the problem is with the tapes, is it even possible to repair it or is all hope lost?

Thanks...

2. huntercr macrumors 65816

Any chance you can get back the old camera? I'll bet you have a head alignment problem that has married your tapes to your camera.
    Supposedly this is a common issue with using LP modes. [ I wouldn't know, I'm just a good googler :D ]