Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ezhilk

macrumors member
Original poster
May 15, 2011
Michigan
Has anyone with a 10.5 inch iPad Pro noticed a difference in sound levels coming from the left and right speakers in landscape mode? To me, it sounds like the speakers on the left (top of the iPad in portrait mode) are slightly louder than the ones on the right..wasn't sure if it's my iPad or if I'm just going deaf in my right year :D

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
Noticed the same thing and measured it with an SPL meter from the app audiotools
There is a difference

ezhilk

macrumors member
Original poster
May 15, 2011
Michigan
Noticed the same thing and measured it with an SPL meter from the app audiotools
There is a difference

Thanks for the info! I am not sure if it's a defect or just how the sound is setup, to have the speakers at the top be a little louder than the ones at the bottom..

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
There are more holes in the bottom speakers than the top, so perhaps they've over-compensated boosting the top to match?

RyanBreton

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2017
I have heard from another thread that the drivers on the top of the iPad and the bottom of the iPad are tuned for different sound levels. In example: the bottoms speakers drive more bass l, while the top speakers are tuned as tweeters for more treble and highs. I’m not sure as to the exact way they are set up though. But The way I understand it, is that Apple designed them that way. Don’t know if that helps.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I have heard from another thread that the drivers on the top of the iPad and the bottom of the iPad are tuned for different sound levels. In example: the bottoms speakers drive more bass l, while the top speakers are tuned as tweeters for more treble and highs. I’m not sure as to the exact way they are set up though. But The way I understand it, is that Apple designed them that way. Don’t know if that helps.

That’s fine, until you go landscape.

italodance

Suspended
Jun 7, 2017
Tehran
Pffff the top side of speakers of all ipad pros are for base (Subwoofer) and must be louder since 2015. you guys are newbies. please search it before asking.

Last edited:

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Pffff the top side of speakers of all ipad pros are for base (Subwoofer) and must be louder since 2015. you guys are newbies. please search it before asking.

Have some of this Noob....

The iPad Pro includes four stereo speakers. Bass and higher frequencies adjust according to the position in which the device is held. All four speakers pump out bass, but only the top two – depending on how you hold it – produce mid and high

Reactions: 44267547

ezhilk

macrumors member
Original poster
May 15, 2011
Michigan

The iPad Pro includes four stereo speakers. Bass and higher frequencies adjust according to the position in which the device is held. All four speakers pump out bass, but only the top two – depending on how you hold it – produce mid and high

Thanks, this helps! It's the mids and highs (vocals, especially) that seem to be pronounced more on the speakers at the top, so there is something to it after all

italodance

Suspended
Jun 7, 2017
Tehran

Huh so you learned that, Good. Finally. Tnx God you know how to google it.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Huh so you learned that, Good. Finally. Tnx God you know how to google it.

Regardless if it was Googled or not, it's accurate describing how the quad speakers work. And actually if I recall correctly, during the 2015 September KeyNote , Apple touched on how the quad speakers sound when you hold the device in your hand and in what position.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.