iPad Pro Sound balance in 10.5 iPP

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ezhilk, Jul 2, 2017.

1. ezhilk macrumors member

Has anyone with a 10.5 inch iPad Pro noticed a difference in sound levels coming from the left and right speakers in landscape mode? To me, it sounds like the speakers on the left (top of the iPad in portrait mode) are slightly louder than the ones on the right..wasn't sure if it's my iPad or if I'm just going deaf in my right year :D

2. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

Noticed the same thing and measured it with an SPL meter from the app audiotools
    There is a difference

3. ezhilk thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the info! I am not sure if it's a defect or just how the sound is setup, to have the speakers at the top be a little louder than the ones at the bottom..

4. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

There are more holes in the bottom speakers than the top, so perhaps they've over-compensated boosting the top to match?

5. RyanBreton macrumors newbie

RyanBreton

I have heard from another thread that the drivers on the top of the iPad and the bottom of the iPad are tuned for different sound levels. In example: the bottoms speakers drive more bass l, while the top speakers are tuned as tweeters for more treble and highs. I’m not sure as to the exact way they are set up though. But The way I understand it, is that Apple designed them that way. Don’t know if that helps.

6. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

That’s fine, until you go landscape.

7. italodance, Jul 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2017

italodance Suspended

italodance

Pffff the top side of speakers of all ipad pros are for base (Subwoofer) and must be louder since 2015. you guys are newbies. please search it before asking.

8. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Have some of this Noob....

The iPad Pro includes four stereo speakers. Bass and higher frequencies adjust according to the position in which the device is held. All four speakers pump out bass, but only the top two – depending on how you hold it – produce mid and high

9. ezhilk thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, this helps! It's the mids and highs (vocals, especially) that seem to be pronounced more on the speakers at the top, so there is something to it after all

10. italodance Suspended

italodance

Huh so you learned that, Good. Finally. Tnx God you know how to google it.

11. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Regardless if it was Googled or not, it's accurate describing how the quad speakers work. And actually if I recall correctly, during the 2015 September KeyNote , Apple touched on how the quad speakers sound when you hold the device in your hand and in what position.

12. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Thanks, 2 seconds of googling would have saved you embarrassment too as it’s all speakers that provide bass, not the top. Move along.