Sound Balance way off

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Candre168, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Candre168 macrumors newbie

Hi there,

Was hoping for a bit of help. I'm a musician and I use my MacBook extensively for my work so this is quite an issue for me.

I never had an issue with sound balance, until I tried out some old speakers (I knew one of them was dud) so I tried to alter the sound balance to compensate for it. Removed the speakers, went back to using my normal speakers and the sound balance was pretty off to the right. Tried my earphones, and the sound balance was WAAAY off to the right.

Went and checked the balance in System Preferences, it was spot in the middle. The only way to get the sound remotely equal is to put it far left, but then obviously the volume isn't as loud.

Opened up Audio MIDI setup, adjusted some things in there (made it much worse and can't default :D) so I'm a bit stuck for a solution.

Impossible to play anything out of headphone jack due to the terrible balance. Can barely hear anything out of the left.

Help would be much appreciated.

(P.S, My earphones & speaker works fine with my iPod).

2. lighthouse_man macrumors 6502a

3. Candre168 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. lighthouse_man macrumors 6502a

Try resetting the PRAM and NVRAM. If it doesn't work, boot into safe mode and see if it's working. Some people fixed similar episodes by just going into safe mode and rebooting. If the issue persists, then try logging into the mac from a different account. If the problems are not there, then there is something messed up in your original account, google how to either reset/trash the sound preferences.

5. Candre168 thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried resetting PRAM, booted into safe mode too and tried logging into a different account but sadly the sound balance is still off :(.

Any other ideas?

I'll try contacting Apple tomorrow I guess.

Thanks for the response either way.

6. lighthouse_man macrumors 6502a

The thing is that at the Apple store, they'll probably do the same as in the previous steps on the spot and if it doesn't get resolved, they'll keep it in to fix for free if you still have Apple Care. I suggest you back up before going.

I got no other ideas except if you have an external drive. You can then try to install OSX on it, boot from it and see if the problem exists. If it still does, then there is some hardware problem that Apple should be able to fix.