Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio PCI Express On Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by fiercetiger224, Mar 17, 2008.

1. fiercetiger224 macrumors 6502a

Has anyone bought one of these cards and tested it on a Mac Pro yet? I'm about to run to Fry's to grab one of these cards...Since I wanna use it in Windows. For Mac OS X, I'm not so sure about? It'll probably detect the card, but have no drivers I'm assuming? :confused:

Too bad the Mac Pro doesn't have any PCI slots...I'd be using my X-Fi from my PC rig if it had it! :(

Anyone wanna shed some light on this subject before I plump $69 on it? Thanks! :)

2. DJJONES macrumors 6502

lmaoooo those cards are junk to me personally. m audio cards are much better. if your not doing any audio work i guess having one those overhyped creative cards is fine or for playing games but if you plan on doing some audio stuff get one the m audio cards or external audio card. just gicing some advice i remeber when i bought the 100 dollar xfi card or what ever it was thinking i got the best sound card around only to buy a 200 m audio delta 1010 for 200 saying wow this thing blows the creative out the water then to only upgrade to a motu traverler and saying wow i wasted all that money on all those other bullstuff cards lol just a little insight

3. fiercetiger224 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, I agree with you on M-Audio. Right now I just need a quick solution, since the onboard Realtek audio sucks. I did break down and went ahead and bought the card, and it sounds a hell of a lot better than the crap onboard audio. Later I'll purchase a much better audio setup solution when I really need it. This is just to last me a little while, and then I can just throw this card in another old workstation.

4. minicoop503 macrumors regular

I have an xfi xtremergamer, but I only use it for windows, so I can't tell you.

However, take note that the xtremeaudio doesn't have a real x-fi chip on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_Blaster_X-Fi

Edit:

Oops, didn't see your post :)

5. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Creative hasnt made drivers for Mac since OS 9. The only creative card that has ever worked was an overpriced mac Soundblaster Live 5.1 pci card

The USB X-Fi thing does work though, since it doesnt use drivers on any OS. I dont know how good it is though.

6. minicoop503 macrumors regular

They haven't made x-fi drivers for linux yet either. At least ones that work...

7. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Yes, this card will work on a mac pro IN windows. Someone in another sound thread confirmed this.

8. fiercetiger224 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Haha yeah, I actually did read about that before buying it. It's okay though. It's still a hell of a lot better than the Realtek soundchip. Hopefully soon they'll release a Fatal1ty version of the card on PCI-Express. :D I'll just sell this card off and purchase that instead.

9. akm3 macrumors 68020

Can it work in the Mac Pro "in windows" via parallels or VMWare fusion?

I suspect that the emulated windows can't have their own drivers for hardware (all handled through the OSX drivers) but it never hurts to ask.