Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andreyush

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 24, 2015
Hello...again :D

I play guitar and I want to do some basic recording, but I need a sound card and some monitors and I don't know what should I buy. I like Focusrite Scarlett 2i2..I saw that it has good reviews and I want to know if you guys have other opinions or advices :D.
https://www.thomann.de/ro/focusrite_scarlett_2i2_2nd_gen.htm

On monitors I saw KRK RP6 RoKit G3 . Are these a good choice for recording, mixing ?

https://www.thomann.de/de/krk_rp6_rokit_g3.htm?ref=search_rslt_KRK+RP6+RoKit+G3_322726_0

Every advice counts! Thanks !

Last edited:

xb2003

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2016
MO
Those Focusrites are good interfaces. I also like Presonus' budget interfaces.

I'm not a huge fan of the KRKs. I think they are kind of bass hyped and have a lack some of the upper highs. JBL LSR305s are (in my opinion) more accurate AND sound better for general listening. For someone into EDM, though, the KRKs might be the way to go.

djippy

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2015
Montreal, Ca.
There is lots of choice now, you need to determine your needs and budget first...

At about the same price as the focusrite scarlet, there are many other options:

Steinberg UR 22
Presonus audiobox
Behringer U-Phoria series (even cheaper, with good reviews)
M-audio M-track
Lexicon alpha

etc...

If you plan to record complete acoustic bands at some point, "investing" on an interface with 8 mic preamps can be a good choice.

None of those choices are bad choice, if you can have a good deal on any of those interface, it should be good enough for home studio recording. Decent preamps with enough gain, not noisy.

There are lots of choice for monitor too, but don't forget that the room you are in is a huge part of how your system will sound.

If you don't have lots of space and decent acoustics, having great monitors will not help that much. Because of that I mix mostly with headphones. I do have a pair of powered monitor as well. Yamaha have nice powered monitors, m-audio, tascam, mackie, etc... What I can recommend to you is to bring music that you like to listen and try the monitors with those reference track and buy the one that you are the most confortable with.

happy shopping!

Reactions: andreyush

andreyush

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 24, 2015
There is lots of choice now, you need to determine your needs and budget first...

At about the same price as the focusrite scarlet, there are many other options:

Steinberg UR 22
Presonus audiobox
Behringer U-Phoria series (even cheaper, with good reviews)
M-audio M-track
Lexicon alpha

etc...

If you plan to record complete acoustic bands at some point, "investing" on an interface with 8 mic preamps can be a good choice.

None of those choices are bad choice, if you can have a good deal on any of those interface, it should be good enough for home studio recording. Decent preamps with enough gain, not noisy.

There are lots of choice for monitor too, but don't forget that the room you are in is a huge part of how your system will sound.

If you don't have lots of space and decent acoustics, having great monitors will not help that much. Because of that I mix mostly with headphones. I do have a pair of powered monitor as well. Yamaha have nice powered monitors, m-audio, tascam, mackie, etc... What I can recommend to you is to bring music that you like to listen and try the monitors with those reference track and buy the one that you are the most confortable with.

happy shopping!

Thank you for advices ! I was thinking on headphones too. The truth is that I don't have so much space and a pair of headphone would be great instead of monitors, (for now).

I heard that AudioTechnica ATH-M40 are very good.

On the other hand I tought that the best recording/mixing process is done with both monitors and headphones :D.

c8rlo

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2015
FL
i have the Focusrite Scarlett Solo and the 2i2, either run my Mackie MR5 MK3 studio monitors. as others have mentioned...you're budget and needs will determine what works best for you. workspace could be a factor as well, large or small studio monitors to accommodate your setup...ie desktop or studio.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.