Sound card for Mac Pro (Early 2008)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by cledet, Aug 4, 2012.

1. cledet macrumors regular

cledet

I am looking to get a PCIe sound card for my Early 2008 Mac Pro. I was hoping to pick this one up from Amazon. Would any sound card work or is there any specific I need to get?

2. xav8tor macrumors 6502a

A school of thought I tend to agree with is to avoid internal sound cards. Pick up a good external USB and/or Firewire interface. The Motu Ultralite Mk3 offers both and I've made absolutely excellent recordings with it. For 25 bucks, you'll be lucky to get what you pay for, unless you don't care about quality/fidelity/noise, specs, etc. Check the audio forum for add'l suggestions that may still offer good quality but are less expensive.

3. flatfoot macrumors 65816

That sound card physically doesn't fit the Mac Pro. It's PCI and the Mac Pro has PCIe slots.

4. donw35 macrumors regular

donw35

Agreed, your best nap possibly only option is to go with a USB option and of that you many to choose from.

5. initialsBB macrumors 6502a

You know your Mac Pro had multichannel output over the optical audio, right ?

6. cledet thread starter macrumors regular

cledet

Wasn't considering an external card because I don't want my desk cluttered. I might as well check them out. I heard good things about the Motu Ultralite Mk3 though.

I was convinced this card was PCIe, not PCI. Thanks for pointing that out.

Ports on the back do not work anymore.

7. Spacedust macrumors 6502a